Like Tree20Likes

Recommendation on bad review at previous job and find new job

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Recommendation on bad review at previous job and find new job

Hi, I was working with HSBC and resigned due to harassment by boss. She has given me bad review and feedback.

Now, I unable to find a job due to this review and feedback in HSBC or elsewhere (banking sector) Hong kong. I was able to prove my ability to at least 10 different roles including HSBC and almost got my appointment letter. But, due to this unilateral feedback system, the hiring manager dropped me at the last minutes.

Can anyone recommend me how to solve this problem and get hired?

Quote Original Post:
    Hi, I was working with HSBC and resigned due to harassment by boss. She has given me bad review and feedback.

Now, I unable to find a job due to this review and feedback in HSBC or elsewhere (banking sector) Hong kong. I was able to prove my ability to at least 10 different roles including HSBC and almost got my appointment letter. But, due to this unilateral feedback system, the hiring manager dropped me at the last minutes.

Can anyone recommend me how to solve this problem and get hired?
    Sue for defamation. It is unsual because most large companies are hesitant to get feedback these days. What you do is hire a PI to ask your former boss for documentation demonstating you have been blackllsted from your industry unrelated to performance. You need to gather your performance reviews demonstrating you performed well in your last job as well.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Assuming you are open and truthful to your new prospects about your reason for leaving and unless you were summarily dismissed HSBC should only be confirming your employment and employment period. Are you quite sure this is the reason you are being turned down ?

shri, jimbo and RMDNC like this.

I was open and told them truth and have official documents about resignation. I
    n fact, I presented proper work products and professional certificates to showcase my expertise during the interview. It appears that HSBC's whole recruitment system rely on one person's opinion. Moreover, the Hong Kong job market is small not sure how it works.

Quote Original Post:
    n fact, I presented proper work products and professional certificates to showcase my expertise during the interview. It appears that HSBC's whole recruitment system rely on one person's opinion. Moreover, the Hong Kong job market is small not sure how it works.
    You resigned from HSBC and now you are applying to HSBC again? Is that correct?
    HKDesi likes this.

yes

Quote Original Post:
    You might be oversharing here with new employers.

HSBC will only confirm work dates and last role.They will not share details on performance reviews with 3rd parties.

Now if you are applying for another role within the same organisation, there is no way to know if informal background checks are done.

You can't really micromanage what people say informally.

There is no rule internally that says that you have to rely on the feedback of the previous hiring manager in order to proceed with a hire, but it does happen.

Sadly nothing helpful to say other than, focus your search externally and do not let one unpleasant experience or person steal your joy.

Hoping additional opportunities come your way soon.
    HKDesi and shri like this.

Quote Original Post:
    yes
    Then the views of the previous manager will carry a lot of weight unofficially. If I was a hiring manager and their previous manager said the person was a problem in some way I would not touch them. Sorry fair or not that is the case. Look somewhere else (and don't post about the company on social media!)
    chuckster007 likes this.

Their attitude is probably that it is a much higher risk taking the wrong person, than rejecting someone who might be ok.

Find a different employer.

!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast