Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By MrRotavator

Can my employer reduce my working days?

Can my employer reduce my working days?

Hi guys!

My employer informed that due to the coronavirus he will have to reduce working days of everyone in the office- I am employed full time Mon-Fri. This will change to 3 days a week. What comes with that of course is adequate salary reduction.

My question is, is he allowed to do that with only one week notice? Should we sign a new contract? There is nothing in my contract about salary/working days reduction. Anyone has any information on this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I think this is one of those things which comes down to practicality. Can they legally do that? Maybe, maybe not. Would you prefer to be working 3 days a week or 0 days a week?

It's illegal for your boss to do this. You can either quit or say no (and potentially be fired). I do suggest you talk to the labour department as well.

He can't (unless otherwise specified in your agreement). But if you don't agree, he can terminate your contract by giving you a certain period of notice as stipulated in your agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Naatalq
    Hi guys!

My employer informed that due to the coronavirus he will have to reduce working days of everyone in the office- I am employed full time Mon-Fri. This will change to 3 days a week. What comes with that of course is adequate salary reduction.

My question is, is he allowed to do that with only one week notice? Should we sign a new contract? There is nothing in my contract about salary/working days reduction. Anyone has any information on this?

Thanks a lot in advance.