Like Tree22Likes

Made redundant - better to resign in this case?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Made redundant - better to resign in this case?

Well my team has been downsized 40% already in recent weeks and today I was told my job will also be made redundant. So I do have 1 months notice and they will add 1 more month on top, I've been with the company for just over a year and a half.

My question, in many cases I know it's better now to take the severance package but in this case it seems reasonable with regards to what I'm entitled to legally? Tks in advance

if you resign you don't get the 1mth severance package offered.. so why are you doing it ? do you have another offer already on the table for you to move to ? otherwise what is the concern?

less than 2 years of service only get ya 1 month pay (notice), you're getting an additional 1 month on top so its a good thing. accept severance and dont resign unless you're filthy rich and dont need the money lol

SonicYouth1 likes this.

Are you thinking it looks better to resign? I think no one will question your resume if you get made redundant in this crazy economy.

Sorry to hear of your job loss, I feel bad for everyone losing jobs (or just not having work) in this economy...

Resignation or redundancy will appear the same in a CV if you don't add a sentence to explain.. adding a sentence to explain means no practical reason to resign...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    if you resign you don't get the 1mth severance package offered.. so why are you doing it ? do you have another offer already on the table for you to move to ? otherwise what is the concern?
    If I resign I go get the extra month, but I'm thinking is there a catch to this. Been a long time since I studied employment law at uni

Worth waiting it out in my opinion. Atleast till there is more information about the newly announced Employment subsidies which applies to companies that do not make anyone redundant - no details available yet.

SonicYouth1 likes this.

ok seems there is misunderstanding on your original post. Is the company asking you to resign in return for 1+1 month salary?? instead of being made redundant by the company??

SonicYouth1 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Possibly. Gov't has said it will pay out first "on trust" and then follow up with audits to ensure that no-one the company claimed for/ received benefit for was made redundant.
    SonicYouth1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    ok seems there is misunderstanding on your original post. Is the company asking you to resign in return for 1+1 month salary?? instead of being made redundant by the company??
    Yep
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast