Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jimbo
  • 2 Post By blueagles

Finding A Job in HK

Closed Thread

Finding A Job in HK

Hi Folks,

I'm moving to HK in July for my husband's job and will be coming on a dependent visa. I'm interested in finding out the best ways to find a job for someone who is a mid-career marketing professional. We live in a major city in the US and while I'm not expecting the same salary I get here, I will say, some of the positions posted online are really surprising me. I've started searching Linkedin and DBjobs but am not sure if I should explore other avenues. I've tried to connect to some recruiters on Linkedin but again, not sure if that is the best route. I'm looking for any advice on how to kickstart my job search.

Thanks!

Absolutely connect with the usual suspects on LinkedIn etc such as Robert Half, Robert Walters, Hays etc.

In most cases it’s usually who you know not what you know, Do you have any former colleagues etc with connections in HK they can connect you up with?

Former alumni and so on?

Don’t worry about lack of responses etc so far as most recruiters won’t contact you until you’re physically in HK, So sort out your dependants visa first and network in the meantime.

biffski and irisboards like this.

Also has been noted in some discussions here, join your local chamber of commerce Amcham and build up your network.

biffski and irisboards like this.

Under 'some' dependent visas, I believe you (The dependent) are not eligible to take up employments in HK.

Pls check on that further..
    https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/faq/hk-visas.html

=quoted = = =
    dependents of the following persons are not prohibited from taking up employment in the HKSAR:

• Hong Kong permanent residents;
      • persons who are not subject to a limit of stay (i.e. residents with the right to land or on unconditional stay);
      • persons who have been admitted for employment (as professionals, for investment as entrepreneurs or for training); and
      • entrants under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme, the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme or the Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents.

However, dependants of persons who have been admitted to study are not permitted to take up employment unless they have obtained prior permission from the Director of Immigration.
    ==unquoted ===