Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Aramis
  • 1 Post By Aramis
  • 1 Post By Cornmeal

Master of Education (Science) & Teaching qualification in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Hello everyone, Im a fresh graduate of bachelor of science.
    Recently I was offered full time Master of Education program from HKU.
    If I complete this program, I will have MEd and IB teaching certificate (specifically on science education)
    However, I don't have PGDE/PGCE/ or any other degree/ certificate that would help be have a teaching license.

So my question is, do you think Bachelor of Science + Master of Education + IB Teaching certificate is enough for me to find a teaching job in Hong Kong schools? (Probably international schools)

Or do you think I should still look for valid teaching license like PGDE?
    I heard PGDE is only useful in HK. Do you suggest any other qualifications? I don't know what kind of qualifications international schools in other countries ask for.

I'm sorry if I'm asking basic questions, I just recently decided to become a teacher so I don't have much information with me. Please help!

(I made a same posting on "Education" category but posting one more over here just in case!)

Hello everyone, Im a fresh graduate of bachelor of science.

Recently I was offered full time Master of Education program from HKU.
    If I complete this program, I will have MEd and IB teaching certificate (specifically on science education)
    However, I don't have PGDE/PGCE/ or any other degree/ certificate that would help be have a teaching license.

So my question is, do you think Bachelor of Science + Master of Education + IB Teaching certificate is enough for me to find a teaching job in Hong Kong schools? (Probably international schools)

Or do you think I should still look for valid teaching license like PGDE?
    I heard PGDE is only useful in HK. Do you suggest any other qualifications? I don't know what kind of qualifications international schools in other countries ask for.

I'm sorry if I'm asking basic questions, I just recently decided to become a teacher so I don't have much information with me. Please help!

If you want to be legally able to teach in most good schools, you need to have done a program with a proper practicum. The Masters and IB training are add ons to that. You can still find jobs with your qualifications but you will definitely be more limited in scope. Many countries will not allow you to teach in primary or high schools without a program that offers a practicum.

It would open up more doors and if you are hired in a good school, you can get some of your master's funded and IB training will be free.

BetterH likes this.

Thank you Aramis!
    The MEd program I'm offered includes practicum at IB schools in HK. (probably about 9 weeks?)
    Do you think this is considered "proper practicum" that you mentioned?

It depends on how the practicum is structured. Check with the university and the HK Education Bureau if the program allows you to become a registered teacher. If it does, you should be in the clear and be OK to teach in most international schools around the world.

In order to be properly certified for IB, you would actually need to attend sessions offered by the IBO from teachers that are qualified to deliver the sessions and there are levels. Your course may include the weekend seminar. They are offered all over the world including Hong Kong. Teaching or doing a practicum in a school doesn't give you the qualification but it's experience and many teachers without it are hired in IB schools and acquire it along the way. There are three distinct versions of IB(PYP, MYP and DP) that are quite different. PYP and MYP is more of a framework without external assessments so it's not that big a deal but DP is a different animal. Science teacher with a Masters with at least 5 years experience teaching at DP level and you will never have trouble finding work in HK and around the world. Getting that first job is the hardest, it's hard to tell what's going to happen in HK, lots of schools, lots of expats leaving, lots of teachers leaving...

BetterH likes this.

Take a look at the jobs currently advertised and that should give you an indication of what credentials they're looking for/require.

BetterH likes this.