Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 4 Post By Aramis

Dr. Sick Leave Note confidential?

Closed Thread

Dr. Sick Leave Note confidential?

Perhaps some legal beagle can chime in. Is a Dr. note for sick leave provide to an employer a confidential document - especially if it details a specific diagnosis? Is the employer bound by privacy ordinances in these matters? Given gossipy HR people and colleagues I’d like to know what my rights are and aren’t.

Thanks if you can shed some light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by KowloonRun:
    Perhaps some legal beagle can chime in. Is a Dr. note for sick leave provide to an employer a confidential document - especially if it details a specific diagnosis? Is the employer bound by privacy ordinances in these matters? Given gossipy HR people and colleagues I’d like to know what my rights are and aren’t.

Thanks if you can shed some light on this.
    I don't know the legal position, but in talking to local friends they really don't seem to consider medical information as confidential as I would normally expect in a Western company. Admin staff have certainly gossiped about it in some companies. I would not assume it was confidential at all. But similarly I don't think the doc is required to put the diagnosis on the note either. Perhaps you can just ask him not to.
    shri likes this.

Unfortunately, this doc said, by law, he had to include the diagnosis. Odd, since I’ve used QMHC in the past and they provide a slip of paper with no info and a chop.

Primary School Intellect has entered the chat.

Labour dept guidance...

Also usual privacy ordinance issues...

Little you can do about office gossip... If the hr Sept is unprofessional... Seems like management does not care.

https://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/SickLeave.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by KowloonRun:
    Unfortunately, this doc said, by law, he had to include the diagnosis. Odd, since I’ve used QMHC in the past and they provide a slip of paper with no info and a chop.
    CHP gave me a sick note. They asked if I wanted the diagnosis listed or not.

Use black marker and redact what you don't want HR to see. Clearly there are notes being given without the diagnostic, the important part is the doctor assessment of your need for a given amount of leave. The rest is your business.