Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Being let go but the company is getting 9000/month from the gov't?

Closed Thread

Being let go but the company is getting 9000/month from the gov't?

Hi everyone,

I've heard that the government isn't allowing businesses to lay off staff if they're receiving the $9000/month government covid funding till October? Are there any clauses around that that would allow them to lay off staff?

Asking for a friend who may be getting let go.

Last edited by Swimup; 05-07-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Companies can still lay people off, as long as they a) hire someone so their total employment numbers stay the same, or b) pay a penalty - which can be as small as repaying 10% of the $9000 for a small company.

Did my partner's 5-person company lay someone off last month? Yes they did!
    Did they take the $9000? Yes they did!
    Did they put their part-time cleaner on MPF for this year so they had the same number of employees? Yes they did!

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Companies can still lay people off, as long as they a) hire someone so their total employment numbers stay the same, or b) pay a penalty - which can be as small as repaying 10% of the $9000 for a small company.

Did my partner's 5-person company lay someone off last month? Yes they did!
    Did they take the $9000? Yes they did!
    Did they put their part-time cleaner on MPF for this year so they had the same number of employees? Yes they did!
    Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieP:
    Please could you tell me about the $9000 Government funding - I am a small business operator and wasn't aware of this or if I am eligible. Thanks!
    https://www.ess.gov.hk/en/
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieP:
    Please could you tell me about the $9000 Government funding - I am a small business operator and wasn't aware of this or if I am eligible. Thanks!
    We've got a summary on here :

https://geoexpat.com/forum/415/thread356299.html

Depending on what sort of business you run, how you're structured etc... their might be more or less available to you.