Like Tree30Likes

Difficult finding job in Hong Kong, Help!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Just to reiterate what others have said about the EFL job market here right now; I know a couple friends working in these institutes, they need to hire 1 teacher and they got so many applications it made their heads spin!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    What do you mean by "have a TEFL"? Do you have a Bachelors degree?

Maybe consider looking at other industries or types of jobs. (I hear the police force is hiring ).

You say you must have a full time job secured... Does this mean because you need to live on your own and need enough for rent? It can be difficult as a teacher to earn enough for rent.
    Yeah, if you have a degree, it will be way easier to find a job - you could even apply directly to schools for ELTA positions or even apply to organisations like Chatteris.

As for rent - I know LOADS of teachers in Hong Kong (from private tutors/tutorial centre teacher to NET Scheme/international school teachers, and I don't know anyone who finds it difficult to pay rent - some find it hard to safe or live a full on western life, but rent has never been an issue. Again, anecdotal, but that's also been my experience (when I came I was private tutoring, then centres, then rando agency at a school(s) and finally the NET Scheme.)

Also, do people who have been let go need to get a new work visa, once they find work again because I know some centres 100% will not sponsor a visa, so you still have a slight advantage (if the answer to my question is 'yes').

Going to be really tough to get a job from abroad, Why can't you move to HK until you land a job? I honestly think if you are here for the summer, and hit the pavements, you'll find a job - probably even a decent enough one in a school as an English Language Teaching Assistant. Not requiring visa sponsorship is a huge asset.

Could you stay with family?

Quote Originally Posted by nihaobitches:
    Yeah, if you have a degree, it will be way easier to find a job - you could even apply directly to schools for ELTA positions or even apply to organisations like Chatteris.

As for rent - I know LOADS of teachers in Hong Kong (from private tutors/tutorial centre teacher to NET Scheme/international school teachers, and I don't know anyone who finds it difficult to pay rent - some find it hard to safe or live a full on western life, but rent has never been an issue. Again, anecdotal, but that's also been my experience (when I came I was private tutoring, then centres, then rando agency at a school(s) and finally the NET Scheme.)

Also, do people who have been let go need to get a new work visa, once they find work again because I know some centres 100% will not sponsor a visa, so you still have a slight advantage (if the answer to my question is 'yes').
    I disagree. Some jobs may be contract-wise unreliable; some may need you for a few months, then not after.

If rents drop, it could be better, but I would imagine you need to earn a minimum of $30k/month (possibly $20k) to make it work. That's a discussion for another day... but it's something the OP needs to consider: what kind of lifestyle they may be able to afford with work "with a TEFL" and how unreliable their income may be.

I personally don't recommend it for anyone as a career choice... again, personal. I think if you enjoy working in education then get some better qualifications (e.g. PGDE) so you can get a more reliable full-time, dependable job, like at a school.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    What do you mean by "have a TEFL"? Do you have a Bachelors degree?

Maybe consider looking at other industries or types of jobs. (I hear the police force is hiring ).

You say you must have a full time job secured... Does this mean because you need to live on your own and need enough for rent? It can be difficult as a teacher to earn enough for rent.
    Hi, yes I have a Bachelors degree and I am currently working as a Learning Support Assistant in a college (UK). You’re right, I need to live on my own but tbh I am not someone who spends a massive amount of money on stuff, there are tiny flats which can be rented for between 6k-9k at several places. I had few Skype interviews with some centres but no luck so far 🥺 the rest did not even bother to reply.

I only speak English so I’m not too sure whether the police force will hire me lol and that too when I’m still in the UK. I guess my situation right now is very complicated!
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nihaobitches:

I have a bachelor’s degree and I am currently working as Learning Support Assistant in a college (UK). I am literally applying everywhere, every job which I feel I qualify and can do. I have given 3 Skype interviews so far and had no luck so far, they were all centres jobs. The rest have not even replied to me yet! I’ve joined several Facebook groups too that are for EFL Teachers in HK, there were few job posts there too, so I’m basically applying everything I can find but a bit sad lol

Finding a job is always stressful but it’s worse when you have stuff going on within the family ☹️ Oh well, that’s life I guess!!!

I would say you were a relatively 'strong' candidate for jobs (based on what you have posted):

- you have the right to work immediately and freely (no visa sponsorship needed)
    - you have experience (how many years?) and a degree/TEFL (what type of degree/TEFL?)
    - although you are not here (which isn't great), it seems you are basically willing to come over at the offer of a (any?) job and start right away
    - you've been here before, so I'm guessing you're familiar with the work environment here
    - Native speaker

Pulling all this together into a decent looking CV, with the correct focus and making sure everything is grammatically correct (not to be a dick, but there are what I would consider errors in your posts - I know posting online is different - which if I were looking at a CV with similar errors, I probably wouldn't ask that person for an interview, so make sure everything is tip-top!)

Have a look at places like Chatteris (not great pay, but they help with finding flats and other stuff), English for Asia and English First. Look on places like Jump for ELTA positions in schools too. Just keep applying and highlighting your strengths in your CV.

Tehmur1 likes this.

Someone earlier mentioned accents.... do you have an accent when speaking English? Combined with your skin colour this could put off some potential employers.
    (Though I have an acquaintance here in HK who teaches EFL full time to individuals/small groups despite being Polish and having a noticeable Polish accent! )

What I would add though is throughout your posts you often miss out definite/indefinite articles and your grammar is sometimes a little clumsy. This may well just be hurried typing and typos but do make sure any job application emails and CV's are mistake-free!

Good luck.

Tehmur1 likes this.

Try contacting and sending your CV to Eureka - they put people in schools and learning centres.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer51990:
    Try contacting and sending your CV to Eureka - they put people in schools and learning centres.
    Thank you 😊