Like Tree60Likes

New staff constantly taking sick leave

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gch555:
    As above, performance manage them out. If they were serious about the job they'd at least communicate better than this.
    Love that term ... not been in the industry for a while, but it does sound good.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    You'd be surprised at how many people we call for interviews that don't show up...I wonder if that's the norm in HK
    Tell us, how many? And what's the industry and role? I wonder if there's higher instances in certain environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Tell us, how many? And what's the industry and role? I wonder if there's higher instances in certain environments.
    We're in the audit/accounting industry. In June, we called around 10 people in for interviews for Junior Audit Consultant and 4 were no-shows even after confirming times and dates. It doesn't seem like people in HK like to call and say, "Sorry, I won't be coming in today because something came up". They just...not show up.

I used to work for a recruitment agency in HK (not doing recruitment incidentally) - I was amazed that this appears to be a HK phenomenon. Across multiple industries and multiple levels there were an incredible amount of no-shows. I don't understand how or why.

So unprofessional. Seems to be a cultural norm here. Crazy.

mysti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    We're in the audit/accounting industry. In June, we called around 10 people in for interviews for Junior Audit Consultant and 4 were no-shows even after confirming times and dates. It doesn't seem like people in HK like to call and say, "Sorry, I won't be coming in today because something came up". They just...not show up.
    Close to peak season... probably got jobs somewhere else?
    chuckster007 likes this.

I don't think I've ever had a no show in 10 years of recruiting in HK, either through an agency or directly (we advertise junior roles on LinkedIn). I wonder if it's an industry specific issue?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Close to peak season... probably got jobs somewhere else?
    Probably! But it would be nice if they would call and say they won't be coming in so we don't have to waste our time.
    shri and TaD_LaLa like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Agree, recruiters are often shit here, and no better than applicants (often worse!)
    ramelec and TaD_LaLa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I don't think I've ever had a no show in 10 years of recruiting in HK, either through an agency or directly (we advertise junior roles on LinkedIn). I wonder if it's an industry specific issue?
    The agency I work for recruited cross-industry. And it was common across the board

Is it possible to inquire about their situation or is that too personal. Maybe they have other issues going on?