Like Tree60Likes

New staff constantly taking sick leave

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    One of the new staff the company hired back in June had been calling in sick at least twice a week and he's now extended to calling in sick every day since the beginning of July. I know that employers can't fire anyone if they have a doctor's note but I read they can if the person has a "serious misconduct". I'm curious if they can fire him on the grounds that he's affecting the progress of work for the client which in turn has an effect on the company's reputation?
    '

what kind of job it is that he./she willing to sacrifice job by taking sick leaves. also fire him and hire me seriously lol.

We're in the audit/accounting industry. In June, we called around 10 people in for interviews for Junior Audit Consultant and 4 were no-shows even after confirming times and dates. It doesn't seem like people in HK like to call and say, "Sorry, I won't be coming in today because something came up". They just...not show up.
    People like that should get their a$$es kicked all the way back to their parents’ house. Probably starts with the parents anyway, not teaching their brats any manners.

This type of behaviour really grinds my gears.
    traineeinvestor and mysti like this.

I bet a local...used to work with a female employee who took close to 3 hours over lunch nearly every single day, and would announce that she was going to work in another building but leave her laptop at her desk. No laptop she would have been unable to access the banks network. People get away with what they are permitted, they know it and they simply push limits. Nothing happened to her at all. Locals get treated very differently at some places.

angeluscomplex likes this.

I used to have an employee who constantly complained of fatigue and took loads of sick days over a few years. She was fired.

I never went to the funeral...

Kowloon72 likes this.

I had a colleague (now left) who would spend part of every month asking me to swap shifts with her. It happened quite regularly, she had a much more comfortable gig than me, whilst my other colleagues and I had to constantly move around HK. from one counter to another, she merely rocked up for only 5 hours at the minimum and a designated location and then went home. Later, when she was stationed at one counter for a whole shift, she got to sit all day while some of us had to stand at other counters for 6/7 hours. Yet she constantly and without fail asked for days off whereas other colleagues would have their reasons for days off shown on systems she didn't.

Pampered, really.

He says he has arthritis and his legs hurt so he can't sit for long in the office... (he's a 1995-er, not old...)
    There are a lot of ‘arthritis’ based illnesses that affect younger people. I have one that commonly starts in people from teenage years- 20’s. (Ankylosing Spondylitis) It maybe he said ‘arthritis’ as more complex names for the various conditions are less well known.

One of the symptoms of my condition is pain and stiffness when sitting for more than 10 minutes. Arthritis is not just an old persons disease.

Not excusing this person as if this was the case they would have diagnoses and be on medication. However, just making the point for awareness.
    mysti, Plutark and TaD_LaLa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaas20:
    People like that should get their a$$es kicked all the way back to their parents’ house. Probably starts with the parents anyway, not teaching their brats any manners.

This type of behaviour really grinds my gears.
    I live with my parents, I've had to work a day off at no notice because some bitch refused to turn up and told no one, I've spent months with almost no days off because of staff shortage.
    For what it's worth, I've had no customer complaints about my manners in over a year of working where I do.

I think it's because they're brought up to expect people to fall in line with them, aka. have maids to do their bidding, grow up entitled etc.
    traineeinvestor and Plutark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Have you tried asking him to work from home? It's possible he's scared of Covid but doesn't want to say that. Perhaps if you suggest he can work from home you would get some useful work out of him.

Otherwise, as noted above, he's not accumulated enough paid sick days to be paid if he started in June, so you can just stop paying him.

We had an employee like this a few years back. He had a mental health issue. But again, just vanished, didn't communicate etc. It took months to let him go because we could not even find him (he went home to India without telling us). These kinds of things can be really tricky. I think you have to do as much as you think is reasonable (karma is a bitch) but when it's all just too much, you have to let him go.
    Why should anyone be able to work from home when their colleagues are stiffening their upper lips and getting on with the task of being productive and earning money?
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Not sure what industry you are in, but the recruitment industry is run by a bunch of cowboys and that includes hiring teams at banks as well. Just unprofessional hacks

Flapster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    There are a lot of ‘arthritis’ based illnesses that affect younger people. I have one that commonly starts in people from teenage years- 20’s. (Ankylosing Spondylitis) It maybe he said ‘arthritis’ as more complex names for the various conditions are less well known.

One of the symptoms of my condition is pain and stiffness when sitting for more than 10 minutes. Arthritis is not just an old persons disease.

Not excusing this person as if this was the case they would have diagnoses and be on medication. However, just making the point for awareness.
    In the case of OP's staff, what would the difference be between sitting long times in the office and sitting around long times at home?