How common are Reference Checks in Hong Kong ?

How common are Reference Checks in Hong Kong ?

I have heard Hong Kong is lax when it comes to pre/post-employment reference checks (Unless you are in Finance or are a senior level executive)

• How true is that? What have your experiences been ?Did the new employer call your old employer?
    • Did they use the contact on the reference letter (call or email) or straight up call the HR?

Thanks!

In my experience, calling the referee directly is more or less standard in the legal profession.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    In my experience, calling the referee directly is more or less standard in the legal profession.
    Thank you for your reply. Yeah, calling the HR seems unnecessary if there's already a contact given on the letter.

My current employer is more inclined to only share his email id(personal). Is that okay or do companies need a phone number?

Well it depends on who is the HR. If the HR is an ass, then he or she will call everyone just to make sure he's showing that he's doing his job

Quote Originally Posted by ramelec:
    Well it depends on who is the HR. If the HR is an ass, then he or she will call everyone just to make sure he's showing that he's doing his job
    Well you can assume that the HR in my case is a nice and friendly young person for a startup

Also, Is giving just the email unacceptable?

ABS

Hi, The email is fine especially if it is in addition to a reference letter or email is included in the letter. Your potential employer/their HR or Recruiter will email your referee and depending on the seniority of the role etc they will decide if a phone conversation would suffice.