Like Tree12Likes

What kind of Engineers are needed HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    Thats a good feedback. Was expecting this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker:
    So I worked for an electric power company in Canada for over 10 yrs. I take that's not in demand as there are next to no power plant in HK~~~

I do have a decent background in capital management. Capital projects/investement. Is a bit of a niche through...

I just need some money to pay for the high rent in HK....
    Where are you staying now which is paying high rent? Maybe moving somewhere?

You can work for the 2 power companies in Hong Kong, they do have to go through the budget/capital audit with the government every few years. or you can work at one of the many consultancy firms in Hong Kong that reviews the budget report for the HK gov. You don't need to get professional qualifications, however, it will have a direct effect on your pay. The tax rate in HK is much lower than Canada. You can use glassdoor to get an idea of the pay scale.

Cloud and Data Engineers are in huge demand in HK .
    If u have a background in electric power, infrastructure engineer focused on Data center, cooling are also in demand. In addition power companies have projects going for green power and EV which may be a good area to look into.

mmbiker and rkenia852 like this.

Wait for Lantau Tomorrow Vision and there should be some work to be done

civil_servant likes this.

Canadian electrical engineer here too, there are tons of jobs in building related fields and especially data centers. With regards to licensing, HKIE reciprocal agreement with Engineers Canada require one year local experience first so you’re better off just getting the UK Chartered Engineer instead (similar process to P.Eng.) Contrary to what’s been said here, my experience is being a CEng helps a lot when it comes to job seeking and salary negotiations. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions and good luck!

edit: I have some contacts for engineering recruiters here that have helped me before that I can share if you’re interested

Quote Originally Posted by CAF00187:
    Canadian electrical engineer here too, there are tons of jobs in building related fields and especially data centers. With regards to licensing, HKIE reciprocal agreement with Engineers Canada require one year local experience first so you’re better off just getting the UK Chartered Engineer instead (similar process to P.Eng.) Contrary to what’s been said here, my experience is being a CEng helps a lot when it comes to job seeking and salary negotiations. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions and good luck!

edit: I have some contacts for engineering recruiters here that have helped me before that I can share if you’re interested
    Hello,

so you are saying I should consider getting UK Chartered Engineer instead of HKIE and still work as Engineer in HK?

Hello,

so you are saying I should consider getting UK Chartered Engineer instead of HKIE and still work as Engineer in HK?
    yes, engineering in HK follows the UK system where its nice to have but there’s no need to stamp drawings like in Canada or US (expect some fields like structural and certifying heavy machinery). Therefore the chartership is just a badge of competency more so for employers. Also, a lot of engineering firms here have grade caps tied to chartership (E.g. cannot advance to senior engineer without chartership status.) Therefore you’re better off getting the UK version before coming here, I got mine while still in Canada. Lots of CEng’s in Canada that are willing to sign off on applications

Quote Originally Posted by CAF00187:
    yes, engineering in HK follows the UK system where its nice to have but there’s no need to stamp drawings like in Canada or US (expect some fields like structural and certifying heavy machinery). Therefore the chartership is just a badge of competency more so for employers. Also, a lot of engineering firms here have grade caps tied to chartership (E.g. cannot advance to senior engineer without chartership status.) Therefore you’re better off getting the UK version before coming here, I got mine while still in Canada. Lots of CEng’s in Canada that are willing to sign off on applications
    so I can actually apply for UK version in Canada? Apply online? Is that what you did?

so I can actually apply for UK version in Canada? Apply online? Is that what you did?
    Check with the discipline institution you want to apply with. For mine, I had to mail the physical application package from Vancouver to London and then did the interview via Skype. If you’re electrical biased IET is your best bet.