Like Tree15Likes

Job Scams

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Especially after being warned. Equal parts desperation and stupidity I suppose....
    Oh, yasss!!! That reminds me of myself nearly being scammed in Sydney.

While studying, I just wanted to do a casual job (though the parents funded my entire tuition fees) and let's say, I wasn't desperate but was stupid enough to almost fall into a trap of a middle aged Arabian Australian man (he ran a an employment agency ) by giving out some cash just so that I could get a casual secretarial job. HAHA. I stopped myself saying " Girl, it's me who needs cash. Why should I give him any? Do I have to "buy" a job?" That dude would talk about his old days instead of informing me about jobs. I listened to him as patiently as I could while two other university students waited for their turn. Oh, my!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    We regularly interviewed people in Starbucks. It's not necessarily a red flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    The only scam interview I've been to was at Starbucks.
    Love it.

There are a lot of employers who will use a third party to recruit for them, and the third parties are instructed not to provide too much information about the client such as name, turnover rate, location etc.

Here's a recent one:

https://youtu.be/0so_bFcG8ro

My one and only job interview in Hong Kong was in a Starbucks and I worked with that agency for over a decade.

I did think it odd at the time... turns out the guy, like many, has no physical office.

Had similar suspictions back in February...got a job offer after 1 phone interview... and interviewer using gmail.com
    I requested to visit their office, and it was actually legit.

Turned down the offer as I didn't want to move amid job market uncertainty.

For those of you who ask why would they scam... there are many reasons.
    They request your bank info, transfer some funds to "check" salary will go in... and request to be sent back to their "personal" or supplier account.
    You may end up doing money laundering for a illegal business...

Tons of cases like this if you search, so there are actually job scams.

Many nowadays are desperate for a job, and may put their guard down for a job offer. Please stay on guard, and use comomn sense.

Hk. and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    Had similar suspictions back in February...got a job offer after 1 phone interview... and interviewer using gmail.com
    I requested to visit their office, and it was actually legit.
    I will be starting a new (fixed term contract) position tomorrow... It's through an agency, who contacted me in June, setup a phone interview with the client at the end of June, after which they said I was their second-best candidate, sorry. They came back to me a couple of weeks ago and said they now had budget for another 'hire', so was I still available? I said yes, then they went to do paperwork...

They asked me on Wednesday this week if I could start on Monday. They made a formal offer on Thursday, and sent me an NDA. On Friday I met the agent for the first time - in a coffee shop! - signed a contract, gave them my bank details etc. Tomorrow I will go to the office, and meet anyone I will be working with/for - for the first time.

One interview, met the agent in person one working day before starting, haven't met anyone at the client company at all. I have no doubt that it's legit, for various reasons, but it's all been quite quick and hands-off!
    Mr Chips and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I will be starting a new (fixed term contract) position tomorrow... It's through an agency, who contacted me in June, setup a phone interview with the client at the end of June, after which they said I was their second-best candidate, sorry. They came back to me a couple of weeks ago and said they now had budget for another 'hire', so was I still available? I said yes, then they went to do paperwork...

They asked me on Wednesday this week if I could start on Monday. They made a formal offer on Thursday, and sent me an NDA. On Friday I met the agent for the first time - in a coffee shop! - signed a contract, gave them my bank details etc. Tomorrow I will go to the office, and meet anyone I will be working with/for - for the first time.

One interview, met the agent in person one working day before starting, haven't met anyone at the client company at all. I have no doubt that it's legit, for various reasons, but it's all been quite quick and hands-off!
    Congratulations! That's good news as I recall you'd been looking for something for a while now.

I know of various managers who would prefer to interview in coffee shops, especially if they are younger and like to make things more casual.

There are also some insurance and financial type companies who have lower staff that need to recruit sales teams, and they sometimes use generic accounts too.

Just make sure you don't pay anything for getting the job.