Like Tree39Likes

Discriminatory job ads

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Discriminatory job ads

Hi,

Can you do something about the discriminatory job ads on your site please? If you're unable to review them how about adding a 'report job ad' or similar button?

For example I just clicked on ART BRO CREATIVE EDUCATION LIMITED's

"Seeking for an experience Music tutor

Industry: Arts, Entertainment and Publishing, Teaching & Training (Teachers, Tutors, Corporate Trainers)
    Job Type: Freelance / Contract

Posted: 2020-09-12
    Job ID: 8246
    Job Views: 143

Job Description:
    Seeking for an experience Music tutor

Foreigner teacher preferred"

https://jobs.geoexpat.com/job/8246

Thanks

Without commenting on the intent of the ad, the employer could have easily just focused on English as a native language and that would have acheived the same objective you think they were trying to acheive. Would have eliminated almost all locals. On skin color, that could be acheived by interviewing all appliants fitting the language criteria then selecting the desired shade. IMO they have their mind made up. Don't bother trying to change it. Start your own music school should be your goal IMO.

bbchris likes this.

I don't think the way to combat racism is to ignore it and do nothing.

While some employers may well be racist, there are some that are unaware that discriminatory ads are illegal. We can point them out, report them, name and shame them, and/or get their ads taken down, boycott them, and generate more work for them as various ways to raise the 'cost' of discriminatory job ads.

By the way I'm not a music tutor. Just happen to know some.

It may be only small incremental steps but we won't get rid of racism overnight.

I salute your efforts even if ultimately they may be in vain. Of course the employer wanting a Caucasian face as a promotional tool likely won't change its mind but at least the language can be amended to something more appropriate like English speaking skills necessary. Nothing ever changes with people shrugging their shoulder saying "what's the big deal" or I can't be bothered to make the effort. Good old proverb says the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

At the risk of playing devil's advocate, it could simply be a case of something lost in literal translation.. 'Foreigner teacher preferred' could easily be replaced with 'International experience preferred' and there goes descrimination card out of window.. Though we all know how token foreigners are preferred in local education/activity centres etc but other side of the coin is these centres provide what market demands (for whaever reasons) and thats the harsh reality..

I'm not convinced this is discriminatory. The job ad requires singing teaching so pronunciation matters. It also says foreign is preferred, not required. Foreign in this case could equally apply to foreign born or foreign educated Asians if it's certain pronunciation they're after. Not really discriminatory when it's a requirement for completion of duties to an adequate level.

Also a far cry from racism. Discriminatory and racism can be the same in certain contexts but cannot be used interchangeably all the time.

Sage and HK_Katherine like this.

IMO, it's more like the company raised their own red flag - don't apply for this job, unless you are ready to jump into their racism / discriminatory boat
    Like everyone said, this company already has their mind/criteria set, just the matter they hide it or not. I would rather know it earlier than later after I jumped in.

I'm under no illusions that what I do now is likely to have much of an effect but if no one does or says anything then we are tacitly condoning and, in effect, saying that their discriminatory behaviour is acceptable.

If enough of us say and/or do things about it, and just keep plugging away at it, then we can have more of an effect.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

some of the ads are quite amusing as it shows how shallow ppl are.
    Or perhaps it’s lack of experience, as they have not seen much of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj:
    Though we all know how token foreigners are preferred in local education/activity centres etc but other side of the coin is these centres provide what market demands (for whaever reasons) and thats the harsh reality..
    That’s always the rub. Employers are not allowed to show discrimination but they’re often just responding to consumer preferences who, unlike them, are unrestrained in being allowed to show their prejudices any way they want through what they choose to spend their hard earned dosh on. Ultimately it boils down to culture which drives what the market wants
    Sage and nivantj like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast