Like Tree19Likes

Employer mandatory seasonal flu shots?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If there's no valid medical issues I don't see the issue. It's like saying I don't like the idea of a steak dinner being forced upon me by my boss, if you're not a vegetarian should be a win.

Just got mine, $350 this year, thanks for the reminder!

Your boss can't force you but could replace you. It's just like the schools in HK asking to see the students vaccine records. If the parents can't show the school could reject the child's application.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I can see you didn't read a thing I posted earlier. I never said masks had no role, what I said was that they are not the sole means of preventing infection or some special totem which would keep HK safe the way many HK people seemed to think. And you only have to see the way infections keep popping back up here to see that;s true. HK people relied on masks too much - it was true then and it's true now.

As for vaccines, I have always been a strong proponent of vaccines and have very little time for the daft, uninformed and irrational anti-vaccer brigade.

Listening to a discussion on vaccines in a webinar this morning, one of the key epidemiolists in Aus was explaining that if the vaccine is 60% effective, and 100% of people took it, that would get to herd immunity. But, he then said, since a shed load of idiots would not take it (my words), it would probably need to be at least 80% effective to work, and that the current vaccines are having difficulty getting up to that level. Not good news.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I can see you didn't read a thing I posted earlier. I never said masks had no role, what I said was that they are not the sole means of preventing infection or some special totem which would keep HK safe the way many HK people seemed to think. And you only have to see the way infections keep popping back up here to see that;s true. HK people relied on masks too much - it was true then and it's true now.

As for vaccines, I have always been a strong proponent of vaccines and have very little time for the daft, uninformed and irrational anti-vaccer brigade.

Listening to a discussion on vaccines in a webinar this morning, one of the key epidemiolists in Aus was explaining that if the vaccine is 60% effective, and 100% of people took it, that would get to herd immunity. But, he then said, since a shed load of idiots would not take it (my words), it would probably need to be at least 80% effective to work, and that the current vaccines are having difficulty getting up to that level. Not good news.
    I did. You don't wear a mask in restaurants, only when you are close to.locals like buses. 1m is the internationally recognised safe distance, you don't need a mask outside this. People who believe in universal mask wearing are "fucking pathetic".

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I did. You don't wear a mask in restaurants, only when you are close to.locals like buses. 1m is the internationally recognised safe distance, you don't need a mask outside this. People who believe in universal mask wearing are "fucking pathetic".
    I think you misunderstand my posts. Most people don't wear masks in restaurants - it makes eating and drinking pretty darn hard LOL. That's the point. Yes, I only wore a mask (before it became law) when I was close to someone. Since that's the point of a mask, to act as a barrier when you are close to someone LOL. You think wearing a mask when entirely alone outside achieves anything? And I do think that "universal" mask wearing as in wearing a mask when not near anyone else or alone outside is stupid - again - I think that masks achieve a purpose and if there is nobody around, there is no purpose to achieve.

By focussing on the purpose of masks, it keeps us aware of the other factors we need to take into account - like social distancing in places where mask wearing is impossible (like restaurants). If you were actually IN HK, you would see that people wear masks walking alone in the street when nobody is around (no point) and then stuff themselves into crowded cheap local restaurants without their masks, or sit reading the newspaper in such places for hours without their masks - and think they are fine.

Guess where all the local transmission is coming from?

I think the attitudes are slowly changing over the months, but if we had been clearer on explaining WHY things worked early on, it might have been a bonus.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have only ever stated that you should not wear a mask where it had no value. I've never subscribed to the daft crap coming out of the USA about "freedom to breathe". Since mask wearing is irritating, focussing on using it where it has value and not where it does not keeps the behaviour acceptable for longer, which is good all around.
    Sage likes this.

Not against flu shots in principle, especially during these times.

It is that a company director will walk around with a list of those who did not sign up, and pressure staff to sign up that I find inappropriate.

hullexile and Sage like this.

I think you misunderstand my posts. Most people don't wear masks in restaurants - it makes eating and drinking pretty darn hard LOL. That's the point. Yes, I only wore a mask (before it became law) when I was close to someone. Since that's the point of a mask, to act as a barrier when you are close to someone LOL. You think wearing a mask when entirely alone outside achieves anything? And I do think that "universal" mask wearing as in wearing a mask when not near anyone else or alone outside is stupid - again - I think that masks achieve a purpose and if there is nobody around, there is no purpose to achieve.

By focussing on the purpose of masks, it keeps us aware of the other factors we need to take into account - like social distancing in places where mask wearing is impossible (like restaurants). If you were actually IN HK, you would see that people wear masks walking alone in the street when nobody is around (no point) and then stuff themselves into crowded cheap local restaurants without their masks, or sit reading the newspaper in such places for hours without their masks - and think they are fine.

Guess where all the local transmission is coming from?

I think the attitudes are slowly changing over the months, but if we had been clearer on explaining WHY things worked early on, it might have been a bonus.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have only ever stated that you should not wear a mask where it had no value. I've never subscribed to the daft crap coming out of the USA about "freedom to breathe". Since mask wearing is irritating, focussing on using it where it has value and not where it does not keeps the behaviour acceptable for longer, which is good all around.
    Well said, there are so many mask monkeys (or should I call them mask sheep?) who only want people to conform so they can handle there own nurosis better. Their ability to understand relative risk in different situations is poor and what comprehension they do possess is easily drowned out by their own fear.

Having said that, polarising the discussion into pro-vax and anti-vax (not that you've done that completely) would nearly be as bad as Hull's and Brit's feeble attempts to label all data that shows Covid to be low risk as a "just a flu" argument.

I take vaccinations that I need and I don't take vaccinations that I don't - I've never taken a flu vaccine yet and I'm not about to start now. Any cases of flu I've ever had have been very mild. I do many other things to keep myself extremely healthy that the vast majority of the population simply don't have the discipline or will power to endure. They choose their lifestyle, it's not up to me to support their less than optimal lifestyle choices.

Just because it's right for the average joe, doesn't make it the best choice for me.

When I see myself falling into the higher risk categories I'll vaccinate for things like flu accordingly.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Well said, there are so many mask monkeys (or should I call them mask sheep?) who only want people to conform so they can handle there own nurosis better. Their ability to understand relative risk in different situations is poor and what comprehension they do possess is easily drowned out by their own fear.

Having said that, polarising the discussion into pro-vax and anti-vax (not that you've done that completely) would nearly be as bad as Hull's and Brit's feeble attempts to label all data that shows Covid to be low risk as a "just a flu" argument.

I take vaccinations that I need and I don't take vaccinations that I don't - I've never taken a flu vaccine yet and I'm not about to start now. Any cases of flu I've ever had have been very mild. I do many other things to keep myself extremely healthy that the vast majority of the population simply don't have the discipline or will power to endure. They choose their lifestyle, it's not up to me to support their less than optimal lifestyle choices.

Just because it's right for the average joe, doesn't make it the best choice for me.

When I see myself falling into the higher risk categories I'll vaccinate for things like flu accordingly.
    My husband is very healthy. He had flu in January and I seriously thought at one point it might kill him it was do bad. I cared for him for weeks with no mask or any precautions and got nothing. I'd had my flu jab.

My husband is very healthy. He had flu in January and I seriously thought at one point it might kill him it was do bad. I cared for him for weeks with no mask or any precautions and got nothing. I'd had my flu jab.
    Very good reasons for you both to get a flu jab this year.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Are you going to arrange for your staff to get the Sinovac Covid shots when they become available?