Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 6 Post By hullexile
  • 1 Post By Peaky

Can employer check immigration records?

Closed Thread

Can employer check immigration records?

Can an employer access an employee’s immigration records? Can they find out when their employee left and re-entered HK? Thank you.

Of course not.

shri and Taxmyass like this.

So, if wfh, who would know where you are ...

I mean unless you are a spy

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    So, if wfh, who would know where you are ...
    If only!

My wife’s company keeps sending round emails telling people that they will detect unauthorized leave because they can access immigration records. Didn’t sound right to me but wasn’t sure as they are the visa sponsor.

They also claimed that when their employee applies for PR, the immigration department consults the employer to check leave records and that employment is satisfactory.

My employer has been monitoring IP addresses for remote access and actively going after people working from outside HK during the WFH period... but I'd expect that most wouldn't, and that a router VPN would make you pretty much undetectable.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rongul:
    If only!

My wife’s company keeps sending round emails telling people that they will detect unauthorized leave because they can access immigration records. Didn’t sound right to me but wasn’t sure as they are the visa sponsor.

They also claimed that when their employee applies for PR, the immigration department consults the employer to check leave records and that employment is satisfactory.
    If my employer was lying to me like that I would be looking for a new employer

Quote Originally Posted by rongul:
    If only!

Bunch of bullshit.

Original Post Deleted
    Yep that is what our company did several months ago. Only allowed to WFH in your home country (meaning where you live and work)

I doubt an employer can just check your immigration records but if they sponsored your visa then who knows.

A lot of employers don’t know the reason why they don’t want you working from home, from overseas. Lol.