Like Tree26Likes

Any expats have lost their jobs due to the Covid-19?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Stupid crystal ball was defective and didn't tell me the aviation industry was about to disintegrate and the Australian government would close their borders and not allow their own citizens to leave the country. My plan starts to unravel.

I still have a job for now, but my team are all in HK and not sure how long I can keep working remotely and how long company will accept this situation.
    I wish you all the best and hopefully they can accept your situation until this ends.
    Speaking of this, Australian guv. should relax a bit and reopen their borders at least for NZ, Singapore, Taiwan and why not with HK. We will all benefit from this.
    alexdown likes this.

I had a crystal ball and started working from home in January before COVID was a thing. I moved to Australia and my plan was to WFH for 3 weeks every month from Australia, and then in office in HK one week every month. It was a great plan, company gave me me the green light since even though they had to pay my flight/hotel every month, they wouldn't have to pay 2 kids international school in HK any more so overall would save them a shit load of money. Win win!

Stupid crystal ball was defective and didn't tell me the aviation industry was about to disintegrate and the Australian government would close their borders and not allow their own citizens to leave the country. My plan starts to unravel.

I still have a job for now, but my team are all in HK and not sure how long I can keep working remotely and how long company will accept this situation.
    That's a tough spot, even from a tax perspective it much become difficult to claim to Australia that you should be taxed in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    What kind of consultant are you looking for?
    Sent you a PM instead, I need to keep some (low) level of privacy
    Elegiaque likes this.

I had a crystal ball and started working from home in January before COVID was a thing. I moved to Australia and my plan was to WFH for 3 weeks every month from Australia, and then in office in HK one week every month. It was a great plan, company gave me me the green light since even though they had to pay my flight/hotel every month, they wouldn't have to pay 2 kids international school in HK any more so overall would save them a shit load of money. Win win!

[...]

You can leave Australia if you pinky promise to stay out of the country for 3 months. The return flights to Australia from HK are like 3+ months out (Cathay using business class). Premium economy - most likely bumped. Economy HKG->AUS, 100% likely to get bumped.

3 months away from your kids is a very long stretch...

ymmv.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2