Like Tree23Likes

what do international school kids do after graduation?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Many are professionals and most do pretty well.

Pressures at work may lead to further indulgences:-

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ered-two-women

Quote Originally Posted by null:
    i used to hang out with a lot of expat kids when I was a kid and that made me wonder what happens to international school kids that stay in HK do when they graduate? As far as I know lots of them have limited chinese and im sure you can find a job by graduating uni but still many jobs require you to speak chinese.

What im most curious of are the kids who didn't do well in school and cant get into uni or the ones that started working after high school. What do they do? Most entry level jobs like in retail, restaurants etc require you to speak/read chinese. And i know a lot the 'foreigners' working in manual labor or F&B are south east asians/south asians that studied in multi-racial local schools so they interact with locals a lot and speak fair/decent or even fluent cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Its astounding and arrogant. A non- French Westerner growing up in France would probably learn French and be fluent in it. But some kids of Westerners, principally white ones, can't speak a word of Cantonese?
    Many local kids who went to ESF / international schools speak Canto as a second language or not at all. It's a sad reality and why it's so hard to keep the language alive.

Its astounding and arrogant. A non- French Westerner growing up in France would probably learn French and be fluent in it. But some kids of Westerners, principally white ones, can't speak a word of Cantonese?
    The Hong Kong educational system does a terrible job integrating minorities. If a minority was struggling with the local language in a western country there are many avenues to find the child help. In HK if a child falls behind due to poor language abilities they are screwed. Easier to send them to an English speaking school.

The last time I've checked, French was the sole official language in France. In HK it's English and Chinese. Complaining about some kids not being able to speak Cantonese is like complaining about some people in Canada not being able to speak French. Cantonese is pretty much useless outside of menial jobs. You are better off with English or Mandarin.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    The Hong Kong educational system does a terrible job integrating minorities. If a minority was struggling with the local language in a western country there are many avenues to find the child help. In HK if a child falls behind due to poor language abilities they are screwed. Easier to send them to an English speaking school.
    Yes in the UK my kids got English support in their schools whether they needed or not just because they had moved from abroad (and because the schools could claim extra points in the league tables).

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:

That Rurik guy deserves some jailhouse justice IMO. Crimes of a coward IMO. If he was in the US prison system, he would have been killed by now or attempts made to take his life.
    hongkong7 likes this.

I taught in an international school before moving to the UK, and I could say it distributed this way:
    - most kids go to decent universities abroad (some tobthe really good ones)
    - the less studious ones go to community colleges abroad (I don't get the logic of that, but some parents preferred a community college in Aus over a local college)
    - some (the sporty ones) stay in HK and work as personal coaches or coach rugby, but that's a minority.

I literally haven't met a kid that would look for a job right after highschool, but some did part time jobs as they were there working as receptionists or pet walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:

Why did you link to an article from a UK educated murderer in a thread about life after school for HK educated students?