Like Tree160Likes

If I don't find work soon...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

For teaching English, have you tried freelancing online - e.g. italki.com?

shri and Tongbaos like this.

you can also be a uber driver. plenty of companies to rent out their cars and share your revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongbaos:
    So I need a job bad. But with a spoty work history and I real education I'm screwed. I NEED something, even a part time making 5-10k could save things.
    My advice to you is attend a security course so that you can get a security license, apply for the course like here, its HK$430 for the course, once you pass you register with the police. Once you have done both, give me a shout and Ill hook you up with a mate of mine that runs a security company in HK, you go register with his company n interview. You can easily make 1K a day after a while, usual jobs its 2 hrs on, 1hr rest, not like standing for the whole 12 hours.

No Cantonese speaking is required, they have canto speakers for certain jobs but for big contracts, they usually provide expat security.

Let me know if this can help you.

Security Course
    https://www.hkmanpower.com/eng/security.php

Register with Police
    https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_.../security.html
    Plutark, Tongbaos, shri and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongbaos:
    well that works great for a tutor, but they all had no interest in me. I figure they don't think I'd stick around
    Mate, your marriage is on the line, don't give up. What/where have you applied for? I know the economy is shit at the moment, but having the right to work is a massive advantage here for centre work. Get your CV sorted, make it look good, make shit up and apply apply apply, Look for parents looking for private tuition for their kids, go to every centre in your area in person to drop of a CV. From past experience, I know centres like to hire people who have the right to work and only want PT hours (no visa sponsorship,/can pay a cheap hourly rate etc). to supplement their main teacher(s).
    Tongbaos likes this.

Here is the Amazon Mechnical Turk link, see if you can get started today so you can start building your sense of doing something in the right direction...

https://www.mturk.com/worker

Good luck to you. To be fair, I think we're all struggling with these circumstances and it causes strain. Hope you get through it.

Tongbaos and HK_Katherine like this.

If you want to look at tutoring hit the facebook neighbourhood groups - offer things like study skills & home work assistance in non technical subjects, look for younger kids 10-13 years who do not have public exams,

Tongbaos likes this.

If you know any teachers in the school system ask them if they can refer you to some of their student's parents if the kids are struggling with online learning.

Tongbaos likes this.

For online work, try 1) fiverr 2) Upwork. They're free and you just have to create your profile. For services, you can try offering EN lessons, proofreading, report writing (consolidating stuff already prepared by someone) etc. If you have some ideas around designing/photo editing, you could offer those services too. Take a look at the various categories of services people offer on fiverr/Upwork which might give you some idea on more items you can offer on these portals.

All the best.

Tongbaos and bak875 like this.

Many of the online services are VERY competitive as you're competing with all sorts from all over the world.

Spend your weekend focusing on your neighbourhood where you're hopefully known / familiar face - if you live in a large estate find the community notice board, estate based / neighbourhood facebook groups etc.

Make sure your profile and pitch are polished up, typo free etc ... basic stuff.

Elegiaque likes this.

Yes, as Shri said- maybe be "home-schooling supervisor" where you help kids struggling with on-line learning. Put an ad right here on GeoExpat, seriously, lots of parents getting pretty desperate with difficult online learning situations.

HK_Katherine, caipiroska and BCD like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast