Please advise a Multi-language speaker

Closed Thread

Please advise a Multi-language speaker

I am a permanent HKID cardholder, third generation Hong Kong South Asian, educated in Hong Kong. I speak Cantonese fluently, English fluently, Japanese fluently, Hindi/Urdu fluently and Mandarin at intermediate level. When I speak Cantonese, English and Japanese people often assume that my race matches what is stereotypically associated with what one should look like basically, not a South Asian. I can only read and write English fluently and read some basic Chinese and Japanese.

My work experience for more than 6 years has been as a purchaser/merchandiser/inspector in garments, hard goods and electronics. I am familiar with a variety of different processes and standards related to manufacturing and production ISO 9000, ISO 14000, CPAT, ISO 18000, etc. and all that I have learned and applied on my own. My previous work experience had me working directly with mainland factories and clients from Japan, South America, Europe & North America.

I was laid off from my last position in February because my company was not getting enough business. I am finding that when I apply for jobs using jobsdb, classified post and even at the government career centre that I never am able to secure a second interview or even an offer of employment. The reason that I am told is because I cannot read Chinese and Japanese well enough.

I was hoping that you would be able to give me some advice as how I could respond when the language is stated as a reason.

I do spend more than 80% of my day speaking Chinese both Cantonese and Mandarin with the other 20% in English and Japanese. Even my language at home is in English because my wife only knows English.

Send me a PM, my company has openings for merchandisers currently.

Thank you Wayland.

I am open to suggestions and ideas on interview approaches, places to consider looking for a job or even contract work.