Like Tree6Likes

Defined Benefit Pension Scheme - protected or not?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    For all practical purpose the company should have an annual report done on the asset/liabilities of the trust and whether the funding is adequate.. If yours is a local listed company they might have that inside their annual reporting notes as well.
    Thank you, this was helpful for me to find out that my DB pension was ~107% funded as of the company's 2019 annual report (report for 2020 is not out yet). While I know this is not a guarantee that it stays at this level in future years, there is some reassurance for me that it is more likely the pension fund is able to meet its obligations when members retire and collect their pension.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! Grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    Thank you, this was helpful for me to find out that my DB pension was ~107% funded as of the company's 2019 annual report (report for 2020 is not out yet). While I know this is not a guarantee that it stays at this level in future years, there is some reassurance for me that it is more likely the pension fund is able to meet its obligations when members retire and collect their pension.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! Grateful.
    btw.. if yours is a MNC listed in the UK, then the pension funding note in the annual report might be an aggregate number for the whole company globally, so that might include HK + UK + anywhere else.. then if you are relying on the annual report item to see if your DB funds is safe, be at least certain that they break it down into countries...
    hkgcat likes this.