Like Tree4Likes

Nursery/Preschool teacher

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nursery/Preschool teacher

Hey everyone,

what are the chances of me finding a decent job if I hold a Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood) from New Zealand and have 5 years teaching experience (3 while studying 2 while fully qualified) in ages 3 months to 6 years.

I also hold a 1 year Montessori diploma and 1.5 years experience in a Montessori setting.

I am currently a curriculum leader in my classroom at my current job.

Is this enough to gain me a decent teaching job in HK?

Thanks for your advice

Pretty good i'd say. Most international schools only require a degree and 2 years experience. My wife was Principal of a British Curriculum Kindergarten and they had plenty of teachers with similar backgrounds to yours.

ChloeNZ likes this.

For this coming school year most of the international/ ESF/ DSS schools will have done their hiring already.

Are you thinking of moving here independently, or as a trailing spouse on a dependent visa?

If the latter, you will have no trouble getting your foot in the door as a TA/ EA even if a "proper" teaching position doesn't open up immediately.

If moving independently, the next international school that will be hiring is the Australian - it runs on the southern hemisphere school year. I've been out of the Ed Biz for some years now so don't know what the market is like at present, but you'd certainly be in with a chance.

I would be moving with my husband and two primary aged children.
    My husband would be our main income and mine would essentially be to cover the kids tuition costs and be a bit of extra money for us for rent.

I would be happy with anything that would pay around 15-20k I think but I don't really know what to expect yet in terms of teachers pay just want a general idea of what I should be expecting.

My husband would be on around 90k/month I think but have yet to confirm his job yet as we are only currently at the interview stage.

We'd want to probably live in the Lantau Islands area and he would commute to work. Kids would be at an international school of some sort but not sure yet which as we will wait to hear back from this job before we get serious about those details.

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeNZ:
    I would be moving with my husband and two primary aged children.
    My husband would be our main income and mine would essentially be to cover the kids tuition costs and be a bit of extra money for us for rent.

I would be happy with anything that would pay around 15-20k I think but I don't really know what to expect yet in terms of teachers pay just want a general idea of what I should be expecting.

[...]

We'd want to probably live in the Lantau Islands area and he would commute to work. Kids would be at an international school of some sort but not sure yet which as we will wait to hear back from this job before we get serious about those details.
    Get a job at Kellet or another international school. You will get spots for your kids and around 80% off tuition costs.
    Other schools may vary, but most of them do have spots for teachers (I only looked at a few two years ago and don't remember them all now)

ymmv.
    ChloeNZ likes this.

If you score a full-time job at an international school (or even a DSS one), I would hope you'd earn rather more than 20k a month - that's about the minimum for an untrained, generic BA holder working in a "white monkey" tuition centre. Heck, I was earning more than that as a primary teacher in a good international school 30 years ago.
    I hope someone with much more up-to-date information can give you an update on current pay rates.

Hey everyone,

what are the chances of me finding a decent job if I hold a Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood) from New Zealand and have 5 years teaching experience (3 while studying 2 while fully qualified) in ages 3 months to 6 years.

I also hold a 1 year Montessori diploma and 1.5 years experience in a Montessori setting.

I am currently a curriculum leader in my classroom at my current job.

Is this enough to gain me a decent teaching job in HK?

Thanks for your advice
    If your diploma is recognized by AMI you can try International Montessori School - it’s Kindy/Primary.

Unfortunately it’s not an AMI recognised course

I wasn’t sure of teacher salaries and I didn’t want to come across as having high expectations (haha)

Unfortunately it’s not an AMI recognised course
    Still worth a try. You can also look at Discovery Montessori School which is also K/P. With Covid any staff departures are probably tough to fill so having any Montessori background, no visa sponsorship needed and native English should get a look.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast