Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By DimSumBond

Unemployment Rate - IANG visa jobs

Closed Thread

Unemployment Rate - IANG visa jobs

Recently, the unemployment rate reached an all time high of 7.2% but has gone down to around 6% now. It seems like the majority of these unemployed figures are from the tourism sector such as hospitality, aviation, food services, and tourism. For a fresh university graduate with an IANG visa, what are the chances that he will find a 15-20k a month job preferably in the financial services (accounting/banking analyst) sector by the end of this year?

He does not mind working in other areas as long as it is above 15k to survive the rent and be able to stay. I believe that the financial sector should have some openings and not as badly affected by covid now right??

Last edited by conq; 29-05-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: incomplete

Is his dad a multi millionaire VIP client of any financial services company? I know many cases where they have been able to parachute their kids in to roles that have no performance stresses.

Also helps if he holds Ivy League creds.

aw451, hhku and jimbo_jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by conq:
    Recently, the unemployment rate reached an all time high of 7.2% but has gone down to around 6% now. It seems like the majority of these unemployed figures are from the tourism sector such as hospitality, aviation, food services, and tourism. For a fresh university graduate with an IANG visa, what are the chances that he will find a 15-20k a month job preferably in the financial services (accounting/banking analyst) sector by the end of this year?

He does not mind working in other areas as long as it is above 15k to survive the rent and be able to stay. I believe that the financial sector should have some openings and not as badly affected by covid now right??
    Even though the F&B sector got hit hard with Covid, they are still struggling to find staff. With tips in a bar you can make good money actually (more than 15k for sure). The financial industry suck balls, he can get an entry level role in back office etc but they will work him like a slave and pay like 20k, it will also depends what he studied, but a lot of these roles will require Chinese skills.

The easiest foot in the door career wise is sales/business development, not easy but if he is good at it he can find good jobs anywhere later.

Which Uni/Degree he has done? Assuming he has already tried applying for job in last few months, i would say keep trying and don't give up.. Every single fresh graduate in Son's group from across Asia and South America/ Europe have secured job before finishing final exam a week ago, Also many big banks including HSBC, JPM and couple of Chinese FIs like Citic CLSA have plans to hire new recruits in coming 6 months to 3yrs horizon, couple of local biggies like New World Development and others have also come up with recruitment fair offering jobs..

Last edited by ndt; 29-05-2021 at 05:23 PM.

He did a degree in Statistics. Do you recommend any things to help the job finding besides looking everyday on JobsDB? Tried to find if there are any job fairs or networking events online but didn't see any.

He is able to communicate fluently in Cantonese and is in the progress of learning beginners Puotonghua. Does not mind hard work, just want to gain experience and not be deported.

Regarding the bar, the visa states that it must be a job at the "degree level with market renumeration" so I don't think it would count unfortunately.