Like Tree68Likes

School isn't letting me take contract home

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,063
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The language used in every employment contract I have ever seen has been pretty straightforwards. It's never been anything as complex as what I've come across with commercial law or IP, which often reads more like arcane gibberish.

    Unless the OP has wildly misrepresented the situation, it's a position at a normal, local school, which means bog standard employment contract rather than some customised thing designed to shaft noobs.

    I see no need to be unduly alarmist here, it's not helpful to say generic things like it is not what is written in the contract that will get you....it is what is NOT written in the contract that will hurt you $$$$. Specific examples might be useful, but not this.
    It's possible the contract is for one of those teaching centres who appear to live to shaft their staff. Best to understand that first....
    angeluscomplex likes this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,499
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's possible the contract is for one of those teaching centres who appear to live to shaft their staff. Best to understand that first....
    I'd agree that he'd have to be extremely careful of a 'teaching' centre, but it sounds like it's a real school.

    I got a job offer from a local school but when I asked if I could take the contract away to look it over and make sure everything was okay for me, the HR manager gave a very adamant 'No'.

    Hopefully it's a proper school and not something dodgy.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'd agree that he'd have to be extremely careful of a 'teaching' centre, but it sounds like it's a real school.

    I got a job offer from a local school but when I asked if I could take the contract away to look it over and make sure everything was okay for me, the HR manager gave a very adamant 'No'.

    Hopefully it's a proper school and not something dodgy.
    I think it’s utterly ridiculous not to allow a contract to be reviewed by the other party except for on site.

    Ridiculous

    And all your justification as to why it’s understandable for them to demand this are equally ridiculous. I used to send contracts and NDAs to clients and employees all the time.

    It’s an agreement between 2 specific parties FFS, nobody else.

    The school are arseholes, but it’s the OP’s only option then it’s a no brainer, consider him employed.

    Ps you can sign a contract and then resign 30 seconds later if you choose and there’s sweet FA any employer could do about it.
    Last edited by Sage; 03-07-2021 at 11:29 PM.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I think it’s utterly ridiculous not to allow a contract to be reviewed by the other party except for on site.

    Ridiculous

    And all your justification as to why it’s understandable for them to demand this are equally ridiculous. I used to send contracts and NDAs to clients and employees all the time.

    <snip blah blah blah senseless rage>
    Given your post history, I don't think anyone on this site really cares what you think.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Given your post history, I don't think anyone on this site really cares what you think.
    It’s ok if you have little experience in the real world of business, it’s common amongst teachers.
    Last edited by Sage; 04-07-2021 at 08:14 AM.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Beautiful Britain
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Given your post history, I don't think anyone on this site really cares what you think.
    He's right through. And employers don't stick to contracts either. Mine gave me a 2 year contract and then changed it after one year. On the whole contracts are pointless in Hong Kong, certainty in the area of education.
    Sage and GentleGeorge like this.

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4