Typical legal costs?

Closed Thread

Typical legal costs?

I've never engaged a lawyer in Hong Kong and wonder what to expect in terms of costs. At this stage, I'd just like some advice on navigating a workplace situation in finance. Do you get more sophisticated advice from a large global firm? Then again, if you have a large global employer isn't there a good chance of a conflict of interest?

What dispute are you trying to settle? There are expensive well known firms and cheap local firms. Both have their pros and cons

Should make sure that the lawyer is sophisticated enough to understand a financial setting.

Yup costs depend mostly on the length of time it takes to resolve. Which depends on the nature of the issue.

Ballpark hourly rates? At this stage, I would just be explaining the situation and seeking initial advice.

It's an employment situation, not criminal I don't think

Quote Originally Posted by bascom:
    Ballpark hourly rates? At this stage, I would just be explaining the situation and seeking initial advice.
    Initial consult will be free. You will rarely be told that you do not have a case. After that the costs can easily be around 3-5K am hour. Many firms can and do offer some fixed cost deals for initial work.

Employment situation - consider an initial consult with the labour tribunal? Might be able to review your contract etc?