Hotel Jobs

Closed Thread

Unhappy Hotel Jobs

Hi everybody,

who knows and have any ideas for me how to get a job in Hong Kong? I am fresh graduate. I've finished an University of Tourism and Hotel Industry. And I've got Masters Degree. It would be just awesome and this's my dream to find sth in that business. I sent applications to every hotel which has any job opportunities, but unfortunately no response.
    I'm getting quite anxious, because visitor visa is valid only for 3 months and it has been already 2 weeks since I arrived here and found nothing at all
    Thank you in advance.
    Monika

Monika

Two weeks is nothing, Have patience and also its a quiet period right now as people just aren't leaving till after new year so they can get their 13th month bonus etc.

To get somewhere you'll need to network your backside off and go to happy hrs, Oriented.com and chamber of commerce cocktail evenings etc and just get yourself known.

Yeah, 2 weeks is too short. I was in HK for nearly 8 months before i landed a job, and even that was only my 3rd interview in that time. That was in 2005.

Three ex-colleagues who left the company to search for a better job during this year, have taken around 3 - 6 months before being offered another position.

It seems that it really is that difficult to get a job here at the moment and it will probably get worse during next year, as most people expect the economic downturn to continue throughout 2009.

Good luck though!

Most hotels in HK are really suffering from cancelled or fewer bookings. Hiring more staff is not going to be a priority. They will be working to reduce staff if anything.

Have you thought of Macau? They are normally in more need of staff particularly ones with Western experience.

Aussiegal recommendation is a good one. There are many hotels and weekend resorts with non-Chinese staff as well you may consider doing some research and contacting them directly.

I have learned my resume may easily get overlooked if I don't follow up or know someone in the company to where I give it.

I have been looking since February. Good Luck to You.

The new Hyatt at the University station will open some time coming spring, I've seen a few whole page classifieds saying they're looking for staff. Not sure whether that includes foreign fresh grads, though.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Most hotels in HK are really suffering from cancelled or fewer bookings. Hiring more staff is not going to be a priority. They will be working to reduce staff if anything.

Have you thought of Macau? They are normally in more need of staff particularly ones with Western experience.
    Thank you Aussiegal for your response and very good concept.. I agree with you .The only problem with this is that we live in Sheung Wan in Hong Kong and my boyfriend works here as well, so there is definitely no chance for us to move out of here. But thank you very much anyway..

Cheers, Monika

Your chances of getting a response would be greatly increased if you got married and then got a Dependant Visa. I don't think many hospitality places would be interested in someone at a junior level who would require sponsoring for an Employment Visa (not least because it would be hard to make the case to Immigration).