Like Tree5Likes

What's HR jurisdiction for employee overseas trip

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    OP to clarify - did you say you'll wfh during the quarantine only, i.e. when you'll be already back in HK?

HR can have a say if you ask to WFH outside of the country of employment, usually because of tax implications. If flights in the future are cancelled/suspended, then you may have to take unpaid leave... I assume you're ok with that.
    If you're taking days off while overseas, and your boss approved WFH once you're back on HK soil to quarantine, then it's all you need imho.

Personally, I don't understand why you even involved HR since you're not asking to WFH from overseas...you unnecessarily complicated the matter by asking HR for an opinion - it implied HR did indeed have a right to "approve" or "reject" your trip...

Which they didn't, but given the local workplace mentality, good luck getting out of this situation now!

If I were you I'd let the matter rest...no point replying as it'll mean challenging their authority. Hope they forget, you got your leave approved by your boss, go home enjoy holidays and then if there are issues on your way back, address them as the circumstances require...
    I don't think he did get HR involved, his manager approved and the manager forwarded to HR.

This is exactly what happened. HR's first reason of refusal is that I am travelling to a high risk country and have possibility of catching a virus. During discussion my boss suspect they may have the extreme case in mind when they discovered a positive case in DH even after a 3 week of quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think he did get HR involved, his manager approved and the manager forwarded to HR.
    Last edited by Busyguy; 01-11-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks all for your advice.. have clarity now. Have asked for Unpaid leave in case any cancellation of flight. no much hope though.