Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SonicYouth1
  • 1 Post By SonicYouth1

Advice on salary proof

Closed Thread

Advice on salary proof

Hi everybody,

I have been working for a few months at a new company and gave them my payslip as salary proof when I joined which they accepted at the time. But now they asked for my tax return too which seems odd and I do not want to give as it's personal information that I frankly do not even know why they need it, especially considering that I think I'm performing well at the company.

Do you usually need to give tax return for salary proof? Is payslip or letter from previous employer usually enough? Any advice on what I should do if I don't want to give tax return?

Thanks.

Oh dear....
    Are you working for a local company?

1. Who is the "they" that ask you for your tax return? Admin/HR clerk or Admin/HR manager? Or some "staff" from Finance/Accounting ? Or your own direct boss ? The owner?
    The role matters.

2. How did they ask? Verbally , by email , by sms?
    Verbally leaves no track record. If you have a company email account.... then are you comfortable to ask for a formal written request.

Start job hunting. Something smells fishy (... like office politics) and you may end up having to cut your losses. And if your job role is related to sales with some commission calculations, then you may need to put more effort to job hunting.

Yup, it’s a local company. HR manager asked through email .

Quote Originally Posted by hello128:
    Yup, it’s a local company. HR manager asked through email .
    Honestly, I'd just ignore it

And I manage recruitment for a global mnc firm, with around 8 staff in my team. We always getting these requests from hr with their checkboxes
    aw451 likes this.

I am also in the "ignore it" camp. It's probably part of some SOP but they will likely forget it if you don't bring it up.

Your personal tax return? Or the employer's tax return for that period [usually get a copy] - maybe newbie HR...

Ignore too. If cornered, maybe give them a photocopy that shows only what they need to show with other details blotted/blacked out. If they ask why, just look (゚ ロ゚〃) and say oh personal stuff don't worry, not job-related anyway.

It was the personal tax return. Is that normal to have to provide it for salary proof? I can understand if it's for applying for a personal loan but not sure why I need to give to an employer, especially if i am already working there

Payslip should be enough but I've never been asked for any salary proof. I think what's normal and usual differ a great deal depending on the industry/company.

Did they say the tax return was for salary proof? Maybe just ask them what it's for. It might be for something not sinister and v mundane like tracking the same personal details @ird when they fill in their forms for new employees they need to file w IRD...

Yes, HR said tax return was for salary proof.

If I ignore and/or refuse to provide, is it likely I will get fired for not providing? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by hello128:
    Yes, HR said tax return was for salary proof.

If I ignore and/or refuse to provide, is it likely I will get fired for not providing? Thx.
    Logically speaking your personal tax return could contain far more information than any hr could reasonably request such as investment/rental income which certainly have no right to know
    aw451 likes this.