BLNST Basic Law test for teachers

Lightbulb BLNST Basic Law test for teachers

Hi all,

Query. Quick description about me. NET teacher in HK for several years at learning centers. TEFL and degree.

Looking at moving into the ‘real school’ area. I have been seeing that for SOME positions that a e.g. “pass requirement for Basic Law National Security test” is required. This doesn’t appear under all openings - mostly for GMs and Class Teachers. There are many schools that don’t list this requirement in order to be appointed. Especially "NET" roles

Does anyone have any experience doing this test? Also, have any of you teachers here faced any issues getting hired because you do not have this “pass” in the BLNST?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

I’m still under my contract at my current school, so I can’t comment on applying to schools without a pass in the BLNST. But all local schools comply with the EDB which means you do need to pass. International schools are exempt from this stupid rule.

But I failed my test lol. I need to retake it in April. My school isn’t on my case about it; I just need to pass ASAP (surely within this year).

Got it! Thanks! Are you hired as a net teacher or GM/Class subject teacher?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson30:
    Hi all,

Query. Quick description about me. NET teacher in HK for several years at learning centers. TEFL and degree.

Looking at moving into the ‘real school’ area. I have been seeing that for SOME positions that a e.g. “pass requirement for Basic Law National Security test” is required. This doesn’t appear under all openings - mostly for GMs and Class Teachers. There are many schools that don’t list this requirement in order to be appointed. Especially "NET" roles

Does anyone have any experience doing this test? Also, have any of you teachers here faced any issues getting hired because you do not have this “pass” in the BLNST?

Any information would be greatly appreciated
    I do not think it is required if you are looking to move to a "real school" and be employed under the NET Scheme. See point 6 of the attachment below.

https://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en...13_2022_en.pdf

You don't technically need it to be a NET (yet).
    I have signed up to take it this year, but haven't received confirmation yet.

You can apply for it on BLNST website. There are 4 to 6 exams per year. As far as I know, Out of the 6, 3 are for CRE and 3 are for NETS. The CRE exam is more difficult as compared to the exam for NETS (at least that's what I heard from the ones who failed CRE and passed BLNST for NETS) degree holders are supposed to give this exam if you are applying for APSM post in schools funded by EDB. The exam is not necessary if you are working as a TA in a school funded by EDB or you are working in an INTERNATIONAL school. You can study with the help of the Basic JOY app Lemme share the link of the app. Hope this info helps