Like Tree10Likes

Entry Level Jobs in Hong Kong/Career Change?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeLolz:
    I unfortunately don't work for a big firm and the issue that's got me stuck is the accounting qualification. I am not eligible to do it due to my qualifications not being relevant enough unless I do a masters degree.

Issue with me doing a masters degree is the upfront cost and me financially supporting my family in HK (Which is obvs a pain in the....)

Really wish there was some hope left in me, but it's truthfully dying
    Is the degree subject a requirement you company applies? HKICPA allow any degree... a very accounting focused degree would just get you exempted from a few exams at most. Same for CFA institute.

But any decent / well structured grad programme would also be a good move imo. Aside from very entrepreneurial types (who were always going to land on their feet eventually), I can count on one hand the number of people in my generation who I know and who have been successful in an employee based career without going through one.

So luckily I work with American clients, but unfortunately that requires me to do a U.S. CPA. Problem with that is, they have educational requirements which I don't meet.

If it's true that the HKICPA doesn't need educational qualifications, then great, but I am unsure if it would really be applicable to my role. On top of that, my role is pretty underpaid hence the career change.

Currently between 17-19K in my 2nd year as a junior, and only get 10 days off whereby atleast 15-20 would've been acceptable to me but mental health wise, I am really getting pushed to the gutter.

Had to obviously take what I could get to survive in this city, but what more can I do without falling down the depressive loophole of city living :/

So luckily I work with American clients, but unfortunately that requires me to do a U.S. CPA. Problem with that is, they have educational requirements which I don't meet.

If it's true that the HKICPA doesn't need educational qualifications, then great, but I am unsure if it would really be applicable to my role. On top of that, my role is pretty underpaid hence the career change.

Currently between 17-19K in my 2nd year as a junior, and only get 10 days off whereby atleast 15-20 would've been acceptable to me but mental health wise, I am really getting pushed to the gutter.

Had to obviously take what I could get to survive in this city, but what more can I do without falling down the depressive loophole of city living :/
    How about trying to move within the field of accountancy to a firm that would support you doing HKICPA? That may be easier than trying to move in to a completely unrelated field at this point?

Yes the first few years as a grad trainee, particularly in accounting, really suck. But if you can somehow find a way to stick with it and get a qualification, it will pay off in future.

Have you tried Job Hunting in the Mainland?
    Wechat has a lot of Jobs even for returnees

Do US tax returns for expats? Which are a pain in the neck (speaking as a US expat) and, in the USA, is literally no qualificiations required to be a tax preparer. Definitely a side hustle at least. There are some high rollers who will pay to have a CPA do their returns but others (me!) aren't going to care...with enough software and some accounting knowledge (and US tax law knowledge) is doable...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2