Voluntary work

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Voluntary work

Hi - my wife will be coming to Hong Kong with me while i complete a short contract with my company (3mths). Instead of spending all my money she's going to try and do some voluntary work. Can anyone help point me in the right direction. Are there any paricular agencioes that are based on Hong Long Island that she can look at?

She's a kiwi and from a Customer Service background though i fancy she'll try her hand at anything thats NOT customer service!

thanks in advance.

The American Women's Association--which is not all American, nor even mostly American--places volunteers in various organizations in HK.

Note though, that if she is coming on a Visitor Visa then she is, strictly, not allowed to take any employment, and that explicitly includes voluntary work.

PDLM's warning notwithstanding, she could try Mothers Choice as an on-call volunteer

Last edited by timklip; 07-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.

thank you - i wasnt aware of this restriction on her visa - looks like she will have to study!

Strictly she would not be allowed to take a formal course of study either.

But as a Kiwi, if she's under 30 then she could get a Working Holiday Visa which would enable her to do pretty much anything.

Last edited by PDLM; 07-01-2009 at 04:23 PM.

she isnt under 30 either. it seems pretty restrictive compared to other places we've travelled while i've been working. However looking at the immigration website there seems to be some loophole around my visa - if i can get it changed from restricting me to a short stay then she can work as a dependant. I believe this is the case, am checking with the immigration people. what else do ex pat wives do all day (apart from shop?!)

Yes - if you have an Employment Visa then she can get a Dependant and then she can do whatever she wants. I had assumed, wrongly obviously, that you were coming as a business visitor on a short project working for an employer in another country, not actually being employed in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire:
    she isnt under 30 either. it seems pretty restrictive compared to other places we've travelled while i've been working. However looking at the immigration website there seems to be some loophole around my visa - if i can get it changed from restricting me to a short stay then she can work as a dependant. I believe this is the case, am checking with the immigration people. what else do ex pat wives do all day (apart from shop?!)
    Given that you will only be here for 3 months it may not be worth the effort as the dependent visa application will take 4-6 weeks.

cmlg

Vince,

There is a charity organization in Tuen Mun where I always make donations e.g. old things. Most staff are English speakers.

Your wife maybe interested, some activities are launch globally e.g. Fair trade Coffee game, AIDs, Blind...

Crossroads main page
    http://www.crossroads.org.hk/

global campaign
    http://www.crossroads.org.hk/lifex-perience/who.html

Last edited by cmlg; 08-01-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast