moving to hong kong for IBank opportunities?

moving to hong kong for IBank opportunities?

Hi everyone,
    My name is Richard. I am an undergrad student in an above average university in America, who is about to graduate with double degrees in finance and economics in totally 3 years of study. I want to get in to Investment Banking. I am fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English. I have good grades especially in major courses. my great drawback is i don't have any internship. I wonder if hong kong will be a better location for me to breaking into the field for following reasons.1) I'll have local advantage (i am kinda from hong kong, i have hong kong ID and passport although i've never really lived in hong kong). 2) My language skills will be more appreciated in Hong Kong. 3) hong kong is slightly less competitive comparing to wall street.
    what do you think? please give me some advice, any kinda of input will be appreciated. furthermore, people suggested me to get an internship in the summer before i graduate.i don't want to because then i can't graduate in 3 years. it will be 3.5 years instead. then again, i really like investment banking. can you give me a list of small investment banks in hong kong? i know the big ones.
    have a good weekend and a happy Martin Luther King holiday,
    Richard

Maybe you've been studying too hard in your attempt to graduate in 3 years but maybe you should Google "financial tsunami" or "lehman brothers".

dont worry obama's got a stimulus that's gonna make 4 million jobs. Here's the lehman brother's finance crews next gig:

Last edited by beeph; 19-01-2009 at 02:38 PM.

I (Chinese American) joined an ibank in HK last August via the grad program (mba) and I've realized a few things that can help you clarify working for an ibank in hk.

-Stay in school for an extra year if you can. ib market will only get worst this yr and it's the absolutely worst time to crack the field. Another year might give the economy some time to adjust

-I speak canto, mandarin and english, and I want to let people who have these language skills know that they are no longer a major draw for employers. You are expected to speak english, and almost all cantos here speak some decent mandarin (many of them out there). Sure, if you some edge but honestly, that alone will not give you much advantage.

-you need internship to get into banking. If you can get into ib without it, you are probably the rare 10% in which case are refereal hires

-So to my next point, I believe it would be hard for you to crack ib withotu some insider helping or refering you. If you have these contacts, call them up and get in front of them.

-My last comment is understand what desks you want to be in . For example, Equites department has more than 20 desks. Some are slowing dissolving and some are growing. If you tell a recruiter you want to be in leverage loans or exoitc derivatives, they think you have not done your research. This is same with ibd.

Hope this helps.