Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile

employment in construction/repairs

Closed Thread

employment in construction/repairs

I am self employed Carpenter living in Ireland,my fiancee who is a HK citizen wants to go home for 6/12 mths,and I was wondering is there any work in construction or house repairs for an english only speaker. What kind of salary could be expected .
    Thank You.

I'm not intimately familiar with the industry, but strictly as a consumer, I wouldn't count on it being the same as Ireland. My handyman charges on-call basis, HK800 / day for practically anything that needs doing, labour is very cheap here.

to get a visa you need to prove to immig that you have a skill that locals don't....sorry to say it, but the handy-men/carpenters are a dime a dozen(crappy workmenship though)

I am in construction, most of the construction is Reinforced concrete, and windows are all aluminum, so that leaves only formwork and fitting out.

Legally you will need a working visa, and attend the mandatory safety training course to get on to site. Cantonese is the site lingo.

Freelance work is rare, most fitting out work is constructed in China requiring installation only here.

I only know of one expat carpenter, he makes outdoor furniture (tables, chairs, etc) and in high rise buildings here there is not that much demand.

sorry I couldn't bee more positive - hope this helps.

cheers,

construction /repair is very hard field
    the salary here is not as good as in foreign country

Given the contempt shown for the users of this site with their mass postings I would strongly urge everyone NOT to use org. Clearly a cowboy.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Given the contempt shown for the users of this site with their mass postings I would strongly urge everyone NOT to use org. Clearly a cowboy.
    Glad to see you posting this hull - I just reported two of the others then realised this guy is just spamming the whole site. No doubt shri will catch him and ban him quicksmart!

If you are under 30 and an Irish Citizen, you could look at getting a working holiday visa. You are limited to working for the same employer for 3 months at a time.

There are some Irish expat bars here, and they might be able to offer you some bar-work to get you started.

FTH this was a thread from 2005 which a company resurrected to push their spam. Sri has rightly removed their posting.