legal jobs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    gkh

I am no keen about local firms, but as you correctly pointed out, it's pretty quiet on the capital market scene and I just don't think any international firm would be hiring. It's sort of an adjustment of expectation. But you brought up a valid point regarding the supervision plan. Didn't know that. Thanks.

recruitment market at the moment is pretty pants, esp with any firm focusing on "international" transactions.

the transaction side is without doubt very slow.

however i do understand regulatory and restructuring / insolvency bods are being kept busy.

btw a few magic circle firms are laying people off in hk.

suffice to say, its a tough market to try and get a job as a lawyer in hk at the moment.

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

Agree with all that has been said - although I do know of a few mid-level corporate roles going at the moment. Even for litigators it is not a great market (although my shipping lawyer friends are getting cold calls from recruiters all the time).

I recommend you try this web site:
    www.asianlegalonline.com and click the link to jobs. This might give you some guidence in relation to recuiters.

Best of luck.

gkh

Once again, many thanks for your comments and help.

Quote Originally Posted by gkh:
    Hi, a dreadful climate to be looking for employment now, but just wondering how is the legal (corporate / cap markets) market currently? Recruiters arent too hopeful. Are international and/or local firms still hiring?
    The sentiment is certainly not encouraging. Having said that, you can still see listings on the websites of all major recruiters.

The economic downturn and layoffs - it appears that Singapore has been harder than HK so I'm hoping that China (and HK) recover before the rest of the world.

Legal jobs

There are still a lot of opportunities in the area where you have experience, mainly at Associate/Senior Associate level.

Recruiters not too helpful...? No comment, but that was a major factor for leaving the legal profession and getting into recruitment - to provide an experienced,informed and professional service...

If you are seriously on the move then I may be able to give you a little assistance

maybe this is a slight digress. recruiters may help!

My recruiter told me about an opening last week. however, i saw from the firm's website about that opening earlier this. Will i be counted against/disadvantaged against those applicants who apply directly through the firm's website?? very confused

I would have thought it would be an advantage to apply directly because if you do so, the firm won't have to pay the recruiter. From what I've heard in the past this can be maybe 10% to 15% of your first year's pay after you join, but I'm not sure how much it might be in HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2