Find a job without chinese and a 2-year degree

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Red face Find a job without chinese and a 2-year degree

    Hello there,

    Need some advice as I'm planning to move in HK the 2nd of March to find a job in the hospitality industry rather in events organization or as an assistant.

    The thing is: I'm french, I speak english but not chinese and I only have a 2-year french degree in corporate communications. I just finished an Executive Assistant training program on vocational training but it is just a certificate and not considered as a bachelor.

    I began my studies 5 years after having my high school diploma, but I have more than 5 years of work experience as a PR Coordinator and Executive Assistant.

    Do you think that I have a chance to find a job there ?

    Thank you in advance for your answers

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    You will have a tough time (but not impossible)- especially if you don't already have the right to work in HK. Take a look at some of the other posts to see what it takes to get a work visa. It is very, very difficult to get a work visa for assistant-type and entry level positions. If you have the right to work here already, sorry to harp. More generally, like in other places, the hospitality industry is slow in HK right now. You may be able to find something, but you will really have to sell your capabilities. Particularly, look for positions in hotels, etc. that require fluency French (or English). I did know a German lady who spent two years working as a lower level manager for Marriot here. Spent her time coordinating group reservations from all over Europe and she seemed to do well.

  3. #3

    Thank you very much for your answer