Where to find good Software Developers/Designers

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Good programmer

Hi John,

I also think you need to define what is a good programmer.

An enthuastic young person can write code very fast but make all the typical big mistakes, get stuck often, a older programmer at 10 years experience will make less mistakes and write less code and write code slower, generally.

Phil

I believe the HK programmers are more interested learning how to climb the corporate ladder into senior positions than learning how to write tidy, object-oriented, well-commented code.

And FWIW, I find senior IT positions in "some" HK local tech companies are not really good at IT per se and/or didn't work their way up from junior programming, unlike most tech companies overseas.

Maybe I'm wrong, who knows...

Agile Hong Kong

There's an English-speaking techie group that my company sponsors which some of you programmers might want to check out:

Agile Hong Kong

It's run by a smart and exceptional chap by the name of Conrad. Great fun and always educational.

Agile in HK

@philip142au,
    I agree, Often good programming results in less code not more. I think it's not simple to define concretely what a Good Programmer is, everyone has their opinions. But here's one article that gives an idea of the type of people we want to work with. Great Hackers

@lionrock88, I wish I'd known about that Agile group and joined the last meeting. You know our company set a goal of Getting 8/10 on the Joel Test as one of our 2 Q2 metrics. Now the exact scoring is somewhat subjective, and the goal is conservative, but not a bad thing for a team to aspire to.