BMC

Hi All,

Nice to come across such a busy forum for info about HK, I'm hoping someone can help me

Myself and my (Chinese born) wife and looking to move to HK from the UK some time in the not too distant future. Of course one of the main concerns is about finding work. I work in something specific that can be hard to resource in the UK, and is a fairly niche market. I've tried a few job searches in HK, but they always come up blank.

I work in I.T. Enterprise Management using BMC Software, specifically products around the Performance Manager / PATROL / PORTAL / BEM product sets. This is stuff typically found in corporates such as banks, and so I'm hoping there is a requirement somewhere out there in HK.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you know if your organisation uses this stuff?

2. Do you have any job search sites that return anything in HK when searching for "BMC"?

This is really just part of a feasibility study at the moment to see if the work exists, so I wont be pursuing anything right now or sending out any CVs, but would appreciate any info you may have.

I had no problems with property searches

Many thanks.

Paging katanga!

(That sounds right up his alley)

By the way, up my alley is visas - when you say "Chinese born" wife, do you mean on the mainland, not HK? In that case you'll need visas to live here. A job is obviously one way, but in the current environment I wouldn't bank on it being straightforward.

Thanks for pointing that out, but that's a whole different question you have already replied to
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread40373.html

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    By the way, up my alley is visas - when you say "Chinese born" wife, do you mean on the mainland, not HK? In that case you'll need visas to live here. A job is obviously one way, but in the current environment I wouldn't bank on it being straightforward.
    Thanks for pointing that out, but thats a whole different post you have already responded to
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread40373.html

My response to your post seems to have not made it, maybe because I put a link in. It'll probably turn up later...

Anyway what it said was thanks for your response, and you're already answering a visa post from my wife under the Everything Else section, titled "Give birth in HK".

Ask BMC?

Why not ask BMC's guys?

They have an office in HK, so maybe the best for you in to get in touch with them and ask them how their partners are!

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I've got the full BMC customer list for my product area in HK, but that doesn't mean that they have the resources to support those products based out of HK. Also, large customers work through global agreements so I may have missed some big ones. And then, as mentioned previously, I'm not looking to send out letters just yet to find out any vacancies.

That is why I wanted to see if I could get a better feel for the actual situation on the ground.

Oh I should also say, I previously worked for BMC for many years and am fairly well known in our little niche, and I now work for a BMC partner, so I'm not really in a position to go asking around for any other vacancies at the BMC offices as word might get back. I'm quite happy where I work right now and not looking to upset that.