Business Dress in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Business Dress in Hong Kong

Hi, Im a student from the United States that will be interning in Hong Kong over the summer. I was wondering what types of suits people wear since I've heard it is very humid. I was thinking about buying a few more linen suits because they're light, but I dislike the way they wrinkle because I think it looks unprofessional. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

The offices and all transport are air-conditioned, often well below 20 degrees, so stick with normal lightweight suits. Linen suits are not that common here these days.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM88:
    Hi, Im a student from the United States that will be interning in Hong Kong over the summer. I was wondering what types of suits people wear since I've heard it is very humid. I was thinking about buying a few more linen suits because they're light, but I dislike the way they wrinkle because I think it looks unprofessional. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
    No linen. Too casual...

Stick with lightweight wool or wool and silk blends. Its uncomfortable when you're outside for too long, but manageable.

Depending on where you work, you may get comfortable with wearing just a shirt and trousers. If you're at a financial institution or law or accountancy firm, stick with suits.

Thirding the lightweight, but not linen or cotton suits. Think what you'd see during mid-spring in Pennsylvania business circles. HK is overly reliant on air conditioning, more so than anywhere you've ever been in the U.S.

Some offices have business casual throughout the summer (save when business requires something more dressy), but you'll not find the summer business dress preferred in the Southern U.S. (though, IMHO, we Southerners look much smarter for summer in our cotton and linen suiting than the stuffiness of the HK business suit that never changes).

a bow tie is de rigueur here though.

What the others are trying to say is that it's REALLY REALLY cold in offices here! I have a wool jumper I keep in the office for when I get too cold to work. For real.

Wow, thanks a lot for all the great responses in such a short period of time. Bow ties, really? I could do bow ties, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by MTM88:
    Wow, thanks a lot for all the great responses in such a short period of time. Bow ties, really? I could do bow ties, haha!
    Yes, they're a basic requirement for every up-and-coming man about town.