"Good command of written chinese" or "chinese word processing MUST".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Good command of written chinese" or "chinese word processing MUST".

Hey guys/girls,

I am still in the process of learning how to read and type chinese. Speaking is fine. When I look at jobs that says "Good command of written chinese" or "chinese word processing MUST" I don't know if I should apply or not. When they say chinese word processing does it mean I need to know how ot type chinese or know how to work with chinese based programs??

When my sister applied for work they had an english test and chinese test. My sister is a bit better at me with chinese but still can't really write. She told me she just did the english test and people said its fine for her not to do the chinese. Makes it sound like they put chinese on the job post but you dont actually need it. So I am confused!!!Help guys/girls!!!

Depends on the company, job, clients etc? If it's a local company, likely chance is you'll need to speak (Cantonese and Putonghua) and write Chinese. However saying that, if the local company deals with western clients, they may and can overlook the Chinese language part.

International/Western companies probably English is more important? Depends on clients?

Companies will always advertise something along the lines of 'Spoken English, Cantonese and Putonghua (French, German, Spanish and Japanese an advantage) and Written Chinese and English a must', because if they do get someone who can speak and write all that, that's a major plus, whether it's needed for the actual job... depends...

If you are fluent in Cantonese it doesn't take too long to learn to type, or input via a graphical method like Q9. My receptionist got a typing book and practised a little everyday and not too bad after a few weeks.

^ Really?!!!

I'm relatively fluent in Cantonese, but can't really read or write Traditional Chinese characters, so I can just pick up this textbook and be able to type Trad Chinese chars even though I can't really read or write them????

Thanks er2 for clarifying, had my hopes up... T_T

Last edited by Flyrice; 16-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.

I doubt that what he meant presumably is that if you already speak fluently and are able to read, but maybe not really write, then you can use jyutping input (equivalent to Putonghua Pinyin, using Yale Romanisation) which is rather easy. For the graphic decompositions like Cangjie I'm pretty sure you also need to know how to write. If you do know, then it is much faster than jyutping

Thanks. I am learning how to type Cangjie and read at the same time. Taking it slowly. Thanks for the response guys/girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrice:
    ^ Really?!!!

I'm relatively fluent in Cantonese, but can't really read or write Traditional Chinese characters, so I can just pick up this textbook and be able to type Trad Chinese chars even though I can't really read or write them????
    No, you pretty much need to learn how to read them first. Even Mandarin speakers, who have the option of pinyin, can't type in Chinese without first learning how to read characters.

If writing in Chinese is a must, and you yourself cannot even read or handwrite Chinese, then the job is probably not for you. However, if writing Chinese is just a small part of the position (e.g. my job technically requires me to write in Chinese, but I write in Chinese perhaps 5% of my work time), then you may have a chance. IMHO, what's more important is whether or not you can read, as it could be a factor.

lets start with this, not all jobs within hk require chinese typing just as not many jobs require much english, really depends on the nature of the job.

second point, i assume that you've either abc/bbc/cbc, left hk at a young age, etc... learning the recongise chinese and reading is the first step, like with all languages there are rules and principals, once you've learn even better mastered them, then the rest is easy.

third point, if you can read chinese and basic writing, but lack the principal of which strokes goes where, then thats a start. (eg, i'm fall fall in this case), however, grammar may be lacking here as well

try this web site for cantonese inputing via ping yam/pinyin 拼音

Online Cantonese Input Method 網上廣東話輸入法

if you understand the basic principals of the strokes then chong git 倉頡 and 九方 as well the system which mobile phone inputs uses (can anyone tell what this is called), then this is suitable for you ( it takes me ages using mobile text, but will practice and trail and error, you will get there)

if you're job requires chinese typing/ then use must know how to use 倉頡/chong git as it's the fastest ( though hardest method of input), i reckon only 60% of locals use it, though only 25% are really good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    I doubt that what he meant presumably is that if you already speak fluently and are able to read, but maybe not really write,
    Yup, if you can read Chinese then Q9 should be straight forward, it's free for non-commercial use and taught at all local schools. There will be issues due to written Traditional Chinese is non-vernacular though - Windows XP doesn't actually support vernacular Cantonese.

Q9 supports stroke or glyph input, check out their rather dated website, also available on Nokia and other phones:

Q9 Technology Holdings Limited - Q9 Chinese Input System

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Yup, if you can read Chinese then Q9 should be straight forward, it's free for non-commercial use and taught at all local schools. There will be issues due to written Traditional Chinese is non-vernacular though - Windows XP doesn't actually support vernacular Cantonese.

Q9 supports stroke or glyph input, check out their rather dated website, also available on Nokia and other phones:

Q9 Technology Holdings Limited - Q9 Chinese Input System

hi mr moo, can you tell me if q9 is avaible for sony ericsson phones or as a java program for all mobiles

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast