Teaching English courses and jobs

Closed Thread

Teaching English courses and jobs

hi there

I'm thinking of doing a course so i can teach English as a second language.

Not having much joy in finding a job in my own field, emploeyers don't bother to even send reject letters to spec letters here, so I thought maybe I could gain another skill.

As the course isn't cheap I'd really welcome comments from people who have done a similar one - how easy is it to get decent work afterwards, will the employers sponsor you, is it possible to do some teaching plus run another career alongside? does the course really equip you to teach?

Positive and negative comments welcome as I'd like to be able to recoup the course costs obviously.

many thanks and enjoy the sun

First, do you have a degree?

Have you thought about teaching in China?

I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree but no TEOSL or TEFL certificate though. I have been teaching English in China for four years now.

You can go to China first to find a teaching job. After you have several years under your belt, you can return back to HK. You can find a job in your own field at that time or continue to teach in HK. There are just too many expats in HK now. If you have the experience, they will look twice.

I haven't done the courses but learning the course doesn't really help you too much in China though. The students are different. The students need to speak out more, but most out there do not teach you that though.

It is because the courses are taught for the purpose of teaching a second language in other countries besides China. Each country is different in terms of the students. You can learn something from the course but it might be different on what you need to teach according to the country you go to though.

Anyway, I'm teaching in China now. I am a Chinese Canadian. The only teacher hired as a foreigner that looks Chinese.

If you look Caucasian, it will be very easy for you to find a teaching job. If you come from US, Canada, Britain, Australia and New Zealand. The schools are always looking for these people in those countries.

Most schools will look for Caucasians first then second Blacks then last are Asians though.

OH well

Hey - I am assuming you have no teaching experience + no TEFL. I was in a similar position and I taught English whilst I looked for a proper job. Because you have no TEFL and no teaching experience - dont bother with schools unless they are looking for classroom assistants. Look for language centres or after school hour centres - they are less fussy with qualifications etc. In my interview, I said that I would take the TEFL course but I never did.
    The place I worked in is currently looking for people so send me a PM and I will give you details.
    Otherwise there are loads of vacancies advertised.
    Good luck and keep persisting with the other job hunting

part time english teaching job

Dear all,

I have been applying to the education centres and for private english classes but have not received any response. this has been going on for almost a year. I came to know through a friend that there are some companies which hire part time NET'S. All we need to do is to just register with them and they will give you teaching projects in the local schools as and when they have. Does anybody know about any such company? I have searched on google.hk also but could not find any. Language centers always ask for CELTA, TSEFL etc etc which I don't have.