Don't understand local language at all - Pls suggest how can I find a job.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

retail stores which cater to occidental or non Chinese in general will hire English speaking person,but retail jobs do not pay well.
    Look into bookstores,liquor stores,catering companies,travel agency which cater to foreigners in HK.
    Say a bookstore which sell books written in English.most shoppers whether Chinese or non Chinese will speak some English.
    I have been to Italian deli where the Italians speak terrible English and no Chinese but the patrons know what they want to buy and dont mind if the clerk speaks terrible English.
    Also gift shops in fancy upscale hotels such as Shangri La ,I have come across non Chinese Asians working there and all they speak is English.

Quote Originally Posted by kat28:
    Hi Friends, other than teaching is there not any other field where i can try my luck !!!

Does anybody know any industry which recruits english speaking candidates ?
    If you're the athletic type, you can get into personal fitness training.

If you can type well you might find "admin" or "secretarial" type jobs in english-speaking firms looking for a temp or equivalent who can work with english documents. Pretty rare but not impossible. Try networking at things like American Chamber of Commerce events (or whatever your husband can get you into) when you arrive - word of mouth is best for this kind of stuff.

I personally wouldn't recommend the hotel industry, it has been dead due to the economy. Personally I think with your experiences, you can definitely apply for major brands clothing or accessories appeal company. Although you may not speak the local language, but I think only international company will overlook that, seeing that they will dealt with many clienteles or distributors in the American or European market. You having an MBA in Marketing is a definite edge in that industry, seeing those major brands spent like millions of dollar in Marketing each year. But I do suggest, that you try to look for the company website instead of the job hunt website like SCMP or Jobsdb, although they do have jobs requires no chinese is require but it is very little. You will have a greater chances to locate a job from major company that doesn't advertise they are hiring.

Start networking. Join things like the Australian association (if an aussie) or the American Chamber of Commerce or equivalents for your nationalities... talking to people will find the jobs that are not advertised.