Don't understand local language at all - Pls suggest how can I find a job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Don't understand local language at all - Pls suggest how can I find a job.

Dear Friends,

I am a english speaking gal and will be in HK on a dependent Visa, would like to work in HK , just now preparing to shift there. Want to understand HK job requirements or what possible jobs I can get with "No knowledge" of local language.....
    I mean what kind of industry I should choose , I have 10 years experience in Customer service, and just now trying my luck in Techinal support and working as a Manager in a MNC ...should i try hospitality or something else too confused... any part time job to start with will be better option or anything else..... I am fine with working in any of the fields don't wann stick to Customer service/ support or related job...

Also i am a MBA in marketing. Would appreciate if somebdy can help me!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Customer Service jobs in HK are mostly taken up by Catonese speakers so I don't think that's a viable option.

However, recruitment industry is a very good option for you. Look for recruitment consultants jobs in HK, I am sure you'll find heaps.

All the best!

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

forget recruitment

It's dead at the moment and job cuts eveywhere.

I think there will be chances for you - just not in that field. I dont speak Cantonese and work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenon
    It's dead at the moment and job cuts eveywhere.

I think there will be chances for you - just not in that field. I dont speak Cantonese and work here.
    Hey Zenon ... Hi , thanks ...tel me how did u manage to get a job ..and if u don't mind may I ask u which industry

if you don't speak, read and/or write Chinese, then don't expect to qualify for 99.99% of the customer service or even marketing jobs at the senior level. Most jobs not only require Cantonese, but even Mandarin and with such a competitive workforce, expect to be even tougher these days. English tutor or teacher jobs are always available though.

-ED

Hi Friends, other than teaching is there not any other field where i can try my luck !!!

Does anybody know any industry which recruits english speaking candidates ?

You have told us you don't know the local language...... do you speak any other language besides English? That could open up a few opportunities.

I speak Portuguese, French and Spanish as well, but that doesn't seem to help either....kat28 you may want to start looking @ the South China Morning Post (SCMP) classifieds.
    FYI, even if the requirements say "Chinese an advantage" apply anyway, you never know!

Hey Krypton,

I can't speak other languages, i know only english :-( ..
    God only can help me !! lets see Thankyou anyways..

Thats nice ... Thanks LHFF , I will surely apply ...
    Wish me luck ....bye

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast