English Teaching Jobs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

English Teaching Jobs

Also posted this in Education section but thought I might be more likely to get a response here.

Hi

I have a few questions on the same topic, I wonder if anyone can help.

My background is:

Masters degree in English from a British uni
    Experience teaching and coaching children and adults in sport (skiing)

My next steps are:
    Online TEFL course with i-to-i
    "Teach and Earn" programme with Real Gap this summer - this includes 4 weeks practical training in teaching English in Guilin and basic Mandarin, followed by help getting a job in China where I plan to work for 2 months.

So when I come to HK I will have the above qualifications and experience. Questions are:

How easy will it be to find a job?
    Will I be able to get a sponsored visa?
    If I can't get a visa and decided for example to enrol on a course myself so I could get a student visa, is part time work permitted?
    What is the likely pay?

Thanks

so far as i know, no work is allowed if you are on a student visa. but, i could be wrong on that.

Within 2 days I sent not more than 10 CVs and got 2 replies. I will be singing a contract early next week. Not sure I was lucky, so it's indeed very easy to find a job.

You have to ask if the potential employer would be willing to sponsor your visa. some see it as a natural thing (if they want a foreigner to work for them, they have to help them to do it legally), some want you to have a working visa first.

If you have a student visa, you are not allowed to get paid or unpaid work.

When I was checking job ads, a teacher's pay was usually ~20K/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ling_Ling:
    some want you to have a working visa first.
    which of course is impossible... a work visa is tied to a specific job. it would be impossible for you to have a work visa without being sponsored by the company employing you

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    which of course is impossible... a work visa is tied to a specific job. it would be impossible for you to have a work visa without being sponsored by the company employing you
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you had permission from your sponsor, you were allowed to work for another specified company.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    I know that, you know that, but some of those potential employers don't want to understand that. They can count only on those, who posses dependant visa, but seem like it's enough, since over 50% of jobs I've seen demand having a visa first.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that if you had permission from your sponsor, you were allowed to work for another specified company.
    I don't know if you need a special permission from an employer (although my contract clearly states I am not to work for anyone else, but it may be contract specific, I don't know), but you surely would need a permission from immigration, which brings us to point 1: even for this specific job you'd need a visa.
    You can't even change a university if you're a student, because a student visa is "attached" to a specific univ as your sponsor.

cara's right...your Employment Visa is sponsor-specific, but I think Ling Ling meant that some companies would prefer someone already working here but looking to change jobs...although the new sponsor would still have to jump through the same hoops anyway, the chances of a successful application would probably be better than if it was a first time visa applicant

Finding teaching jobs in Hong Kong is quite easy, especially because you are fully qualified. I'm here on a Working Holiday Visa (so its a little bit different), but I have no qualifications or experience in teaching. I was able to find a job working in a kindergarten easily, so you should be fine

I was thinking of a "sideline employment visa". Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but someone with a working visa can work for someone else if they have permission from both their sponsor and the immigration department.

referring to this document (your application for Employment Visa), specifically Section 7.7, you are not allowed to take up employment other than that approved by Immd and change of employment is not normally allowed unless approved by Immd

anecdotally, I have NEVER heard of anyone being allowed to work for two companies under one sponsorship...

if you really must know for sure, call Immd...

Last edited by timklip; 30-03-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast