Escaping a dead-end job

Closed Thread

Escaping a dead-end job

I work at a "prestigious" firm for someone considered a very high earner for the company, but who is actually an extreme exploiter of other people. This person is a nightmare manager and aside from being ultra unpleasant and working us around the clock, deprives us of even the slightest credit and any opportunity for career development. I have thought of discussing the situation with HR, but
    the firm is laying many people off and that would probably end up being my fate as well.

I am desperate to change jobs, but the nature of my work is quite unique and doesn't match many advertised positions. The boss is also an extreme micro-manager who would notice even a 10-minute absence from the office. So how to break out of this situation? I have considered directly contacting some people in the industry to enquire about opportunities, but there's a chance it could get back to my manager (who is known to be very vindictive). Are there "personal headhunters" or career coaches around who could help out in this type of situation?

what is stopping you from quitting your job before you look for a new one?