teaching in HK

Closed Thread

currently an ALT in Osaka....how would my chances be at...

Ok...here goes, I know that those of you who have been living in hk for years have probably heard this question a million times, but please bear with me....
    I currently live in Osaka, Japan and have teaching in conversation schools and JHS for 3.5 years. Although, when I saying teaching in JHS please read ALT. I KNOW its not the same as “real“ teaching...i also tutored privately in HK for about 3 months prior to coming to Nihon.

My question is....How would my chances be at getting a good/v. good job in HK? I have a B.A in Media Arts. But, no teaching creditials...just experience....also, having lived in HK before, I kinda realise that its much more competitive than here-Japan-...

thanks
    db

Last edited by digiboy; 02-08-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: title

>> How would my chances be at getting a good/v. good job in HK?

Depends .. if you can get into the NET scheme or ESF (need qualifications for that) the salaries are good.

yeah, non-cert teachers usually bring in around 20k a month, which isn't spectacular in a city of HKD60 burgers.
    you say japan's less competitive? strange, thought it's be the other way around.

It is far more competitive in HK as they are far more stringent as regards qualifications and reward experience. If you have the proper qualifications you almost double the salary cerberus mentions and then for each year of experience(and being an ALT in Japan counts if your school in Japan writes an appropriate employers report) you receive good increments. In Japan they often hire people more on looks than qualifications.