Like Tree2Likes

Good Interview Questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I can confirm maternity leave is 10 weeks.

http://www.labour.gov.hk/text/eng/pu...e/chapter6.htm

In regards to probation, I can confirm that the employer does not HAVE to give you notice should your services be terminated within the first month of employment. After the first month of probation, the employer is required to give you at least 7 days notice. i.e. He is required by law to pay you for atleast 7 days.

Thanks for all the useful information so far.

I would also like to mention something brought up in my first interview.

They suggested a possible 2 year contract. When queried by myself it seems as that because I am of child-bearing age (I am nearly 36) and 'just married' then this could be a potential problem for them (they didn't use the word, just a scenario where an employee fell pregnant and the effects it had on the companyg which is quite small).

I find it slightly frustrating and presumptious that this subject is brought up as I have never been that interested in having children anyway (though of course, I may change my outlook in a few years!).

How would the 2 year contract benefit the company? Is it so they could avoid maternity leave? What do you think of this being brought up?

Do you have a work visa? Any contract will be subject to you obtaining a work visa. Your first work visa will be granted for 1 year and you will then have to apply for an extension.
    Also with regards to the 13 months pay, use this pay to pay your income tax. The big difference between HK and UK is that there is no PAYE. YOU are responsible for paying your own income tax so save as you go along each month!

tifbs likes this.

I am here on a dependent visa - they are aware that they would need to sponsor me and a work visa is required.

Daquiri,

I don't really understand your question. Are they trying to discourage you from getting pregnant? If so, I don't see how a two-year contract would be a deterrent -- you can get pregnant any time you damn want. And it would be illegal for them to not offer you the mandatory leave.

Sweden offers 96 weeks of maternity leave! Alas, I'm in Hong Kong, where I've recently found out, that people like to stay behind to do more unpaid work after a day of poorly paid work.

Woe is I.

Yes, but unlike the US, it is not illegal to reject a candidate for maternity reasons.

Janewiches: Get out of the hourly pay mentality .. that is for peasants.

A couple of years ago when I used to have a number of people report to me, the people I hired, worked for with the attitude that "this is their business". Guess what, I've seen atleast a couple of them grow from the $20-25 range to $60-80 range in a matter of 3 or 4 years. No one ever asked me or the regional directors about overtime or comp leave... when we were in crunch mode and we never asked them when they wanted time off. Its a question of corporate attitude.

Now, the problem with Hong Kong is different .. people don't work smart. They're trained to stay in the office till the boss leaves... (anyone remember the dumb wall street journal advert from a couple of years ago)

Sorry .. had to rant ..

janewiches - 'discourage?' Well, as they brought up the point about a previous employee having a baby and linked the scenario to me questioning a 2 year contract I presume so...but that's why I am asking. I don't understand myself.

knowitall - wow, it's amazing that it's not illegal in HK to reject a candidate for maternity reasons. Does this allow them to ask me very personal questions to ascertain whether I may want them/how serious I am etc?! In the UK this is discrimination, however in my first interview I was very polite as I can't presume things are the same here.

>> In the UK this is discrimination

In Hong Kong this is called being practical.

I have known someone to not reveal to their potential employer that they were pregnant, she then ended up going on maternity leave like 4 odd months after joining.

The bottom line .. I thought her company would have really appreciated having an employee they just hired, in the office while they were starting their regional operations.

Anyways, all of this is just a theoretical discussion. You have to go with what you're happy with. You have to keep in mind that you can quit and they can fire you and if it comes to that .. its easier to walk away at times from no win situations.

>> Does this allow them to ask me very personal questions to ascertain whethe

An employer can ask whatever they want, you can answer whatever you want. At the end of the day ... who is really honest in an interview?

Boss: "We have a great career advancement plan"
    Reality: "The title on your business card will look better in a year"

Candidate: "I'm a go getter"
    Reality: "You really have to tell me what to go and get, given that I have no clue in life and am too busy with my MSN buddies to think about it".

Oh well ...