working as architect in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

working as architect in HK

Dear all,

I am thinking to seek an architecture position in HK. I have 5-6 years exp. worked in Thailand for 4 years and then move to SG for 14 months. I would like to know about the salary rate for my exp. and If possible pls recommend me some of international firm in HK.

Thanks for your kindness,

Pipol

Just a little curious why you want to work in Hong Kong, armed with a creative qualification ?

I could understand why someone would want to expand their creative juices in Australia, France, Italy, Canada etc etc, but Hong Kong ?

If it's only about money, then you are probably better off where you are in Singapore, at least it won't be as crowded and housing for foreign professionals is usually much more generous. If its about expanding on your creative freedom, with the possibility to develop your own styles and influences, I can think of 30 countries out there that will allow you that chance...

In my opinion, HK is not an architectural stand out, and from knowing a couple of senior architects who worked for the MTR corporation who designed the Sunny bay MTR, HK isn't really all that flash if you are somebody who wants to make their mark.

The world is your oyster, I'd look at Sydney or Melbourne, under the skilled migrant scheme and expose yourself to a major creative boost....

My 2 cents worth of opinion of course, and purely based on my travels abroad, HK is architecturally repetitive, and over built. I am not a fan of boring mirror glazed window facades, and houses here are hideous boxes.

Compared to Melbourne, Paris, Stockholm, cities that spring to mind, that are architecturally well laid out and attractive to the eye. If you want the big bucks later, you need a career vehicle that will allow you to develop as an innovator, not just as another face in the crowd....

To be honest, you are probably better off in Singapore for the moment.

Last edited by Skyhook; 20-04-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Just a little curious why you want to work in Hong Kong, armed with a creative qualification ?

I could understand why someone would want to expand their creative juices in Australia, France, Italy, Canada etc etc, but Hong Kong ?

If it's only about money, then you are probably better off where you are in Singapore, at least it won't be as crowded and housing for foreign professionals is usually much more generous. If its about expanding on your creative freedom, with the possibility to develop your own styles and influences, I can think of 30 countries out there that will allow you that chance...

In my opinion, HK is not an architectural stand out, and from knowing a couple of senior architects who worked for the MTR corporation who designed the Sunny bay MTR, HK isn't really all that flash if you are somebody who wants to make their mark.

The world is your oyster, I'd look at Sydney or Melbourne, under the skilled migrant scheme and expose yourself to a major creative boost....

My 2 cents worth of opinion of course, and purely based on my travels abroad, HK is architecturally repetitive, and over built. I am not a fan of boring mirror glazed window facades, and houses here are hideous boxes.

Compared to Melbourne, Paris, Stockholm, cities that spring to mind, that are architecturally well laid out and attractive to the eye. If you want the big bucks later, you need a career vehicle that will allow you to develop as an innovator, not just as another face in the crowd....

To be honest, you are probably better off in Singapore for the moment.
    Ah, but that assumes that being based in HKG meant working mostly or only on HKG projects. Not necessarily true - for instance, some of the Foster & Partners guys based here did a lot of work for the Beijing Capital International Airport project...

>> some of the Foster & Partners guys based here did a lot of work for
    >> the Beijing Capital International Airport project...

One of the firms here was sending atleast one of our members to Russia on a regular basis to work on the Bolshoi Ballet.

>> pls recommend me some of international firm in HK

They're the same ones you'll find in Singapore, Dubai and most major international cities.

you should check HKIA (HKIA.net)

Thanks for all reply. but if anyone has more info please post it on here.

I'm an Interior Designer. I moved here from the states a few months ago. I work for an American Design firm here in Hong Kong.

With the economy being what it is people don't want to pay much more than 30,000 HK per month. Some are even offering closer to 20,000 - 25,000 HK. This is for 8-10 years of experience.

There are options out there but the market is very competative. It is a huge selling point if you know Mandarin, since very few of the projects are actually in Hong Kong. You'll find that most of the work is still in China. (there's not much room left to build in Hong Kong!)

Anyway ... I hope this helps. As I said, I have only been here a few months, but this is what I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by archer:
    Dear all,

I am thinking to seek an architecture position in HK. I have 5-6 years exp. worked in Thailand for 4 years and then move to SG for 14 months. I would like to know about the salary rate for my exp. and If possible pls recommend me some of international firm in HK.

Thanks for your kindness,

Pipol
    what are your qualifications and education? licensed, where?
    what kinda project experience do you have?
    are you willing to work 12-14 hour days and 6 days a week?
    do you need a visa sponsor?

Experience is worth a lot less than qualification in architecture. Do you have a qualification which is recognised in Hong Kong? If not, you would likely be employed as an architectural assistant, and probably overworked and underpaid to boot.

That's assuming you can even get a job in an industry which is mostly still firing staff in the current economic situation.

given your response rate, maybe architecture is not your cup of tea.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast