Do I stand a chance?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Do I stand a chance?

I would like to hear your opinions.

I'm basically a fresh graduate, having a degree in Marketing. I had zero experience related with my course, but I used to work as a teacher for kindergarten children. I can be considered above average for English and Mandarin Chinese, but my Cantonese is very limited. I'm probably not even up to the basic level.

Do you guys think I even stand a chance on landing a job there in Hong Kong? I'm supposed to go there in June to try my luck and physically do job-hunting, but most of my friends condemned it, saying that I can't even find a job here, how else could I find an opportunity there. My relatives/family, however, urged me to go and try.

I'm not expecting good salaries too, maybe 10k. Is 10k too much for me?

Where are you from? Would you require sponsorship?
    Do you possess any talents that would make you stand out from the current pool of fresh graduates? (or those with experience that are currently seeking employment?)

Hi! Thanks for the very fast reply. I'm from the Philippines. I don't need sponsorship because I have a HK permanent identity card. My grandparents are there so accommodation will not be a problem.
    The only talent that I can think of is that I can type chinese, if that's considered a talent.

Last edited by annchong71; 06-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Do you have a HKID card? If yes, you might find something. If not, on a 10k salary no chance of a visa.
    Are you Chinese? If no, you might get a job as an English teacher - much harder if you only speak "good" rather than "native" English and look chinese (or so I have heard).

Is 10k the minimum wage already in HK?

You can type in Chinese but so do all other graduates in HK, and even better since they are local. You can try your chance but I am not that optimistic based on your credentials. As an employer I don't see what value you would be bringing to the company that hires you.

Quote Originally Posted by annchong71:
    Is 10k the minimum wage already in HK?
    there is no minimum wage in HK.

^ I see. So does that mean I'm way behind the locals?.

Thanks for the reply though

The unofficial minimum wage is approx HKD3500.
    Entry- level salary for office jobs begin around 7000-8000.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    there is no minimum wage in HK.
    Really? I didn't know that!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast