Owning a business (well 50% anyhow) in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by babu:
    Joining a business is not same as owning a business.
    But owning a business does not confirm the right to work for the business. If you want to work, then you need to apply for work visa.
    Depending on your experience and knowledge, you may get one. No guarantee.
    One would assume that receiving permission to work would be easier if you are the owner of a business in Hong Kong. Surely they wouldn't restrict trade by stopping an owner carrying out essential business?

Or would they?

Essential in whose eyes?

Are you on the verge of curing AIDS or are you opening up a sandwich shop in Yuen Long?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Essential in whose eyes?

Are you on the verge of curing AIDS or are you opening up a sandwich shop in Yuen Long?
    That would be work 'essential' to ensure the survival / sucess of the company they have allowed me to open.

A cure for AIDS can wait until I have more spare time. My Junior Chemistry Set is still on order!

But neither the survival of your company or your well being might be viewed essential or of any benefit to Hong Kong.

Unlike the US or UK every Tom, Dick and Jane has a company or two in their backpockets... hardly makes you important or essential in the eyes of Immd.

Immigration did not "allow" you to open a company. One does not need any government consent to open a company in Hong Kong. You open a company because you want to use Hong Kong to do business.... you get a Visa because you need to stay in Hong Kong manage (or "join") that business.

Joining or owning a business is fine as long as you understand the nature of industry. Owning/running a business with a friend may sound fun but as soon as the MONEY topics arise...prepare for battle!

J