'Saving face'

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

it's not such a big deal really. found that the face thing is greatly overstated. people in hiring positions generally don't want to bother with those they won't get on board, this rule transcends regional divides. it is true flattery's occasionally a tactic here more than in western-themed places.

as for Nikki and the bears, it's an ad for Prime Credit. they have some of the worst commercials out there, especially that annoying guy romancing his lady with violings, horses etc (the casanova loan). both make no sense at all, except you get to see Nikki in her underwear.

Have found the face thing to be a convenient way to excuse lack of cooperation...and is a remarkably one way expectation. For example, pointing out that someone has not done what they promised is a loss of face for that person and I should be more sensitive. That person (earlier) sending a note to others saying I am out to destroy them all is just an honest opinion...and I should be less sensitive. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Everything that Dale Carnegie talks about works across the world.

How to make friends and influence people.
    Try "Chinese Business Etiquette and Culture" by Kevin Bucknall. Boson books ISBN 0-917990-43-9

i bought mine on Amazon after doing some searching around. i was pleasantly surprised to see that, for a white guy, the author was spot on on most subjects. the copyright is 2002 but some sections seem more outdated, but overall it's a good general representation and still fairly relevant. some of the more outdated sections inclue western mannerisms which are beginning to be accepted in china nowadays and it primarily talks about doing business in the mainland but a lot is still relevant to hk.

also there's another one for business people- i forgot the complete title but it's something like: "doing business in china- lessons learned on the front lines" or something. gives a lot of real life case studies, easy read
    Last edited by Mr.Bing; 05-03-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    (playing the devil's advocate)

I on the other hand have a different attitude towards this.

If person A works for me, there is no saving face involved... you earn face.

You have to make the rules of engagement clear to those involved and if they or you cant evolve (i.e. either earn or save face .. whatever you want the rules to be) move on.

Don't spend too much time going into history .. everyone has businesses to run and money to make and there is only so much pussy footing that can go on. Might be cheaper to fire the person and hire someone who can learn your ways.

My god KIA, you're not as dumb as you look !
    You hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by petrm:
    Khema:
    During the Cultural Revolution in mainland China, Mao has criticized Confucius and even before him, just after 1911, many other Chinese scholars did. Confucius is responsible for the feudal ways that China government, businesses are run today and why China can never be democratic.
    That's kind of interesting given that Taiwan has managed to transition to a democratic system?

its the same story as Hen sit thread

Quote Originally Posted by petrm:

(I was once told by a Hong Kong person that "you are the real talented genius, I am very excited to work with you, because I believe you can make a great contribution to the world's music." !!!!!)
    oh my god. that sounds so familiar

i get told similar but then on the same day are called annoyingly stupid for petty mistakes

i love the work ethic though. perhaps i just cant keep up?

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    My god KIA, you're not as dumb as you look !
    You hit the nail on the head.
    I also agree with that. Many firms here are not having healthy corporate culture, departments and divisions are just working towards their own directions without aligning to a specific organisation goal....

I will recommend the manager to build and drive the corporate culture towards a specific goal in the organisation.

This is not about the east and west, HK workforce is ready to accept the deciplined western office culture, just management need to get the right person and team to work on it.

Just another thing other than the culture, I found that many managers here are having very high pride on themself where they will easily have the image that the job applicants they are interviewing should be less talent than them.

I been to quite a few interviews lately, no interviewer bother to test on the technical work skill on me and all interviewrs just focus alot on the previous profile rather than checking the ability of me to the job i am applying. When i drive them into the relevant technical field, they were backoff and directed me to other topics. I understand they are also wanted to check for my personalities but arent them looking for a person who can "perform" the duty rather than a person who "claimed" to have performed the duty????
    Last edited by links; 20-03-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus:
    as for Nikki and the bears, it's an ad for Prime Credit. they have some of the worst commercials out there, especially that annoying guy romancing his lady with violings, horses etc (the casanova loan). both make no sense at all, except you get to see Nikki in her underwear.
    ooh, that goofy princess crap. saw that one and cringed. the bus ad for the Beverly Hills with the white chick with a fricking princess crown.

the yuppie worship drives me crazy. i thought the eighties were over...

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    That's kind of interesting given that Taiwan has managed to transition to a democratic system?
    yup. they have the choice between one corrupt political party and another.